Video Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Problem

I've had this happen a couple times before but now it has happened 3 times in the last week. Twice I lost video while web browsing. The screen went black and the only fix was a restart. The third time the screen froze and I saw an orange box about 1" x 1" in the top right of the screen and as I moved my mouse the video under the box changed in appearance. After restarting it was fine. I checked my temps immediatly after restart and the cpu was at 44. I was just browsing and hadn't been playing any games. I am overclocking the cpu but not video card.

Have ya checked the Event Viewer (control panel/admin tools) to see if any probs are bein' logged at the time under applications and system? :?:

Comment

Originally posted by Wiggo
      Have ya checked the Event Viewer (control panel/admin tools) to see if any probs are bein' logged at the time under applications and system? :?:
      Yes, no problems in Event Viewer.

Comment

Problem is worse now. After playing a game for about 10 minutes the screen goes black and I loose sound. I updated to the latest Catalyst driver, 3.10, and a couple times the video reset itself to a lower res, I think 640x480, and then I could continue playing.

The screensaver also has the same problem. After about 10 minutes the video goes blank and I have to reboot.

I reformatted my drive and reinstalled Windows XP. I have tried the Catalyst 3.7 and 3.10 drivers and neither make a difference. Ram and video card are seated properly. Video temps are maxing out at 65C and idle 55-60C. CPU is idle around 40C and maxing around 45-50C.

Comment

65c? sounds mighty hot to me for a video card.

Comment

Originally posted by Thoric
            65c? sounds mighty hot to me for a video card.
            I've asked around and have been told 55C-65C is normal for a video card during load.

It runs at the same temp even with the side off the case so cause heating isn't an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Lava Lamp Freak
              I've asked around and have been told 55C-65C is normal for a video card during load.

It runs at the same temp even with the side off the case so cause heating isn't an issue.
              ah rightio then.

Comment

Turning the AGP from 8x to 4x seems to solve the problem. Any ideas why this would be?

Comment

My Antec Tru 430 is running at the following.

+12 is 11.98
                  -12 is -11.95
                  +5 is 4.97
                  -5 is -5.15
                  +3.3 is 3.28

Does everything look okay there?

My mem is running at 2.8 and vcore is 1.6.

Comment

Those voltages are fine

Comment

ATI says that only Radeon 9700s that have a serial number that ends with a 30 or higher are compatible with the Intel 865 chipset. Mine ends with a 20. That might explain the random lockups I've had over the last couple months but it doesn't explain to me why games were working for longer than 15 minutes up until a couple weeks ago.

Comment

whats the wattage on ure PWS?

Comment

Originally posted by tacos4me
                          whats the wattage on ure PWS?
                          430w

Comment

I put my Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro in this machine and it crashed after about 30 minutes of playing Ghost Recon. Then it wouldn't boot into Windows except in Safe Mode. In safe mode it gave an error that the machine had recovered from a serious error blah blah and it was caused by Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro Driver. I uninstalled the Radeon driver and control panel in Safe Mode and then rebooted into Windows and installed Catalyst 3.10 again. It went back into the same reboot loop after that. Just before entering Windows it reboots and does the loops doing the same thing. The 9700 Pro and 9600 Pro both work great in my other computer.

Also 90% of the time I can't reboot this machine. I have to shutdown and press the power button. If I attempt a restart, whether its from the Start menu or by pressing the reset button on the case, it will just freeze at the main bios screen with the MSI logo. I've had that problem since day one.

I've finally given up on this MSI board and am going to replace it.

Comment

Well, I'm having video problems on the new motherboard now. My computer went to a black screen twice in two days, both just idle surfing the net. The first time after reboot I checked the error log and had a infinite loop error. After searching I found out this is an issue a lot of people have had with the Radeon 9700 and Intel chipsets. I'm following a thread over at Rage3D.com and it looks like I'm not alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X