Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Amd has some serious attitude probs atm.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Amd has some serious attitude probs atm.

It's this explorer problem, it's back again! It locks up all cpu time and ALOT of memory. I can play games for hours, or surf the web no problem. But as soon as I open up explorer to browse my harddrive all hell brakes loose. 1 minut or 2 at the most then baam all resources locked up to explorer.. (see pic)

That's nothing though, sometimes explorer takes aprox 200-250 Mb of memory, even with one single window open.. The hdd also usually works like crazy during this thing. If I manually shut down explorer in the task manager and then starts it again it gives me aprox one minut of normal working before it locks up again..

Registry is cleaned
    No trojans
    No virus
    All uppdates installed

Is there anything else I can do or is it just a reinstall that helps.. If that.. :mad:

It took aprox 1 minut to open up the task manager in order to snap this screenshot.. No cpu time left..

If I don't get this sorted out soon this damn puter just might find itself on the bottom of the nearby lake one of those days.. :scream:

pic:

Comment

though it is a shot in dark but can it be Norton integrated into your explorer? :?:
      i m making this guess cos it happens only when you open an explorer window and that lil "Norton" icon in explorer was never my favorite.
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Thx for your help, I recently upgraded from Norton AV 2002 to 2003 and I uninstalled the old version completly and cleaned the registry in between just to check this. The problem still occured though.. :(

Comment

untill someone gives you some real helpful reply, why don't u try removing Norton completely?
          also see in event viewer if you can get something.
          Last Updated:
          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
          ======================
          =======================
          yabaa dabaa doo...
          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Do you have all the updates via www.windowsupdate.com ? I remember hearing of certain things maxing out the CPU for no reason that got fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Soulburner
              Do you have all the updates via www.windowsupdate.com ? I remember hearing of certain things maxing out the CPU for no reason that got fixed.
              Originally posted by The__tweaker
              All uppdates installed
              Last Updated:
              10th MARCH

======================
              =======================
              yabaa dabaa doo...
              Customized for 1024x768

Comment

What did you do the 1st time to resolve you problem?? maybe your solution lies there again!!!

I would also remove Norton...i use to have SystemWorks....it's a coaster now!!! Norton???? never again!!!

Another shot in the dark...i had a problem with a little ram defragmenter program, which when updated to a newer version would take like 92% of ressources...on win 98

Comment

This is reported in fourms all over the internet the last four or five days. No one has a fix except system restore.

flatbush71

Comment

i use Norton Antivirus 2003 Professional, integrated into Windows Explorer and never had a problem with CPU usage before :confused:

Comment

You probably did but I'll ask anyway:laugh: . Did you check for spyware?

Anyway, you could try using a different shell, such as Aston. It supposedly is better than Explorer anyway. Doing this won't give much insight as to what the problem is, but it might fix it.

Comment

this may not be the best thing to do, but open up your task manager and change the priority on it to a lower one. should help with the freezeups, worth a shot anyway.

Comment

im intrigued by that Aston shell. Anyone use it??

Comment

Mad mike No mate but if you are intersted Bios 1.6 is now out, I`v flashed it and it has the option to get rid of the boot logo

Comment

I never liked AShton.. terrible

I've used GeoShell though, which has numerous themes, plugins and everything for free.

Comment

Working...
                              X