Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual monitor setup - query

G'days.
    I was wondering if anyone has fiddled around and found a way to run 2 monitors with different desktops. This may sound strange.
    For example
    Monitor 1 - Current Desktop etc
    Monitor 2 - Ftp server, mp3 gui, mirc, icq etc

or if you can have

Monitor 1 - Current Desktop
    Monitor 2 - TV

What do i need to view telelvision from the 2nd monitor.

I have a gf3ti video card, i can change the DVi input to a regular VGA socket with this adapter.

So i can run dual monitors from my video card.

Adapet here > http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index....e=CS-GC17MA15F

So yes, is it possible?

Im more interested in the TV setup :P

I did run a matrox duel head tv capture card before, i could do what you want, i could watch a dvd and have yahoo open. I did try to put two tv card before 1 in the agp slot and one in the pci slot, and well it didnt' work under xp and i tried everything. so to make the answer short, i wasnt successful eventhough xp was designed with that feature in mine, but maybe with the new sp1 it will work. I don't know. sorry for wasting yer time :(

Comment

Its cool, thanks anyway.
      Im glad someone replied : )

Comment

I am trying to do the same thing w. my system. I dont have any $$ but i am looking into it. The crt and DVI outputs allow you to have 2 different desktops, asuming that you got all the software needed. If not your card manf. should have it on their site.
        I know the setting would be also in the display menu, where you can resize both desktops and also change orientation of 1 w. referecne to 2nd. EX to the left, 1 over 2, etc.
        but w.o the hardware thats all i can tell you for sure.

Comment

Sorry but I've never tried two different desktops. :)

Comment

I beleive you can also have same desktop on both. like a duplicate. :D I dont know why you would want that, but its possible.

Comment

There are a few products about for ya TV solution such as this one, http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...ew&dId=402 ;)

Also the clone mode is used mainly in commercial sectors so that 2 ppl can see the same window (like ya accountant may use one monitor while you see what he's doin' on other from the other side of a very large desk as mine does). :)
              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

i knew that, but in home use its not really usefull, unless some strange setup.
                i am thinking of doubling my workspace, that way i can do twice as much surfing of TT forums! :laugh:

Comment

What can be more easier than this? :confused:
                  sorry but I did reduce this 20%

Comment

lucky *******!

I want one too, but no job :(
                    well, i am going to take a drug test for the Comp-USA job that i'm trying to get. And if i do, you can bet that I'm gonna get that too.
                    :p

Comment

Both Thunder and the new P4 run dual 17" monitors though I'm lookin' at a pair of black 19" ones now for the new AMD setup. ;)

Why the test as I thought they stopped the requirement that ya must take drugs for those jobs? :D
                      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

So are you basically looking for a videocard that has DVI and CRT ports? They're getting pretty common now. What's even better is to have 2 systems running dual monitor setup, to 2 monitors with builting line switches! We got one at work here, set up like that. Pretty cool. Course the cards are DVI/DVI

At home I got Dual Viewsonic E90fb's 19"ers.. works awesome with the Leadtek Ti4600. (MyVivo)

Comment

Nah mate,
                          I know the cards which can run them, i just want an in-depth response upon how to run two different destktops, ie software involved.

Because i want one to be my regular desktop, and the other to be interchangeable between

My FTP server, mIRC, icq etc

OR

Tv tuner :D

Comment

I'm not real clear on what it is that you want to do but this page may help somewhat:

I realize that it is primarily in relation to FG4 cards but the principle should be the same.
                            Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

The link don't work but I can get their site. :?:

Comment

Working...
                              X