No announcement yet.

What do you look for in a power supply?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you look for in a power supply?

Just a simple question. When you select a power supply for your system, what motivates your decision? Brand reputation? Positive reviews? Good price? Custom features like LED fans?

And, when choosing a capacity, how do you calculate what you will need? Guess? Manufacturer recommendation? PSU calculator?

I am trying to determine what resources everyone needs to make an informed decision. Thanks for your input!

Re: What do you look for in a power supply?

There are many factors that I use to decide on a power supply. I do have xertain brands that I am comfortable with, but that isn't a final deciding factor. I have tested many myself and also read other reviewers observations on units I haven't had the chance to get my own hands on. The primary factor (besides reliability) will likely be the layout of the 12v rail. Most current systems need a very hefty 12v subsystem so a weakness in this area will be a deal breaker.

As to determining how much power to get, I take into consideration the video system and then go a bit higher to leave some overhead for other components and future upgradability. You can see power requirements for video cards from both the nVidia and ATi sites.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

You are right to consider the video card requirement as a primary concern. And, you are also right about the 12V capacity as a key determinant. Here is a peek at some 12V load results from metering an actual system:

QX9650 @ 4.0 GHz with 1.40V into the core - 8.8 amps with all four cores at 100% load
      790i SLI motherboard - 8.5 amps under full load
      EVGA GTX 280 @ 680 - Tri SLI - 15.5, 15.1, 14.6 amps - 3Dmark Vantage Test 1

So, a triple SLI GTX 280 system with a decently overclocked quad core on a 790i board uses 62.5 amps. That is the basis for the Test 4 run load for our PSU testing regimen. While the QX9650 is well overclocked and uses more power than stock, it is still about the same power draw as an older Q6600 or Q6850 at stock. The 790i is a little thirsty, but, that draw appears to be more from the video load than the CPU. The video cards still draw some 12V power from the slot.

But, more on that later with the upcoming article about what power your PC really needs. I just wanted to get a feel on how people decide how much power they need for their system. Many of the manufacturers recommendations have to be vary careful due to the variance in power supplies available to the consumer and seem to use a worst case scenario. Better to ask for more and use less than the other way around. The power use guide should be a very useful item.
      Last edited by HeavyH20; 03-05-2009, 09:16 AM.

Comment

I also have certain brands that I'm more sure of, and one of those is Corsair.

Originally posted by Darthtanion View Post
        There are many factors that I use to decide on a power supply. I do have xertain brands that I am comfortable with, but that isn't a final deciding factor. I have tested many myself and also read other reviewers observations on units I haven't had the chance to get my own hands on. The primary factor (besides reliability) will likely be the layout of the 12v rail. Most current systems need a very hefty 12v subsystem so a weakness in this area will be a deal breaker.

As to determining how much power to get, I take into consideration the video system and then go a bit higher to leave some overhead for other components and future upgradability. You can see power requirements for video cards from both the nVidia and ATi sites.<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://ancientnovels.com/general/100-ways-to-use-your-ipod-to-learn-and-study-better/?tracker=3248"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://ancientnovels.com/general/100-ways-to-use-your-ipod-to-learn-and-study-better/?tracker=3248" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>
        Last edited by criteriadan; 03-06-2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Corsair sells a very good power supply and it is one of the most stable I have seen. Incredibly steady power.
          Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
          My Toys

Comment

As well as current power needs, I also consider any future plans. For example I usually buy a Crossfire/SLI motherboard and a single card initially, then buy another one when funds allow.

Brand can be an influence if that brand in question has a good reputation, but only if it's specifically for PSU's. A more persuasive influence is being able to see what's inside the PSU. Everything from layout of the various rails, any DC-DC conversion going on for the 5V and 3.3V rails, over all quality of the components used, especially capacitor brand, temperature rating and country of origin. Filtering circuitry should also be examined closely, as should the guage of wiring used, the measures taken to shield the cables from any sharp metal edges and the over all quality of the soldering.

A full battery of tests including voltage drop, ripple and some kind of high ambient temperature test are all important as is efficiency. I',m not overly concerned about efficiency but it is in my opinion indicative of quality when a PSU is able to maintain decent efficiency in less than ideal temperatures.
            Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
            Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
            P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
            Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
            TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
            2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
            2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
            Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
            Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
            WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
            Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
            Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
            3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
            Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyH20 View Post
              Just a simple question. When you select a power supply for your system, what motivates your decision? Brand reputation? Positive reviews? Good price? Custom features like LED fans?

And, when choosing a capacity, how do you calculate what you will need? Guess? Manufacturer recommendation? PSU calculator?

I am trying to determine what resources everyone needs to make an informed decision. Thanks for your input!
              i look all these thing which u suggest coz i have voltage problem sometime it goes down sometime it goes up so i have to be careful for choosing a good power supply.

Comment

Check out posts #7 and #9 in http://forums.tweaktown.com/video-ca...tml#post388827, for recommended psu review sites. In http://forums.tweaktown.com/video-ca...g-results.html, my system draws up to ~350 watts with one video card when running graphics benchmark tests. A safe guideline is that you shouldn't load your psu higher than 80% of its rated capacity for extended use.

I'm partial to Seasonic made power supplies. Most Corsair power supplies are very good to excellent. XFX units are made by Seasonic, as are some Antec units. Ignore psu review sites that don't thoroughly test power supplies at high temperatures. There are too many name brand power supplies that are cheaply made, inferior products.
                Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
                P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
                4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
                MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
                Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
                WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
                Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
                SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
                Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
                Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
                Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
                MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
                Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
                HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
                CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
                E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
                Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
                Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
                HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
                win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Comment

I look for two things...

1. Brand

2. Length of warranty (that tells me how well the product is made)

Comment

A good thing about the latest sandybridge and amd platforms are the lower power consumption,which helps on the pocket in choosing a psu, 8pin CPU plugs and sli/xfire 6/8pin plugs are essential imo,as well as being emi shielded

If your in the UK then novatech make good quality psu's
                    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
                    Intel i7 3770k 24/[email protected] 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
                    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
                    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
                    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
                    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
                    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
                    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
                    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
                    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
                    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
                    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
                    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
                    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
                    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
                    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X