USB 1.1 to USB 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB 1.1 to USB 2.0

Is it a big deal to remove an older 1.1 USB device and replace it with the newest 2.0 USB device?

If not, could someone walk me through the procedures? Thanks.

Re: USB 1.1 to USB 2.0

No. If you're talking about some sort of storage (a removable hard drive, for example), you'll want to click on the taskbar icon "safely remove hardware" if you're in Windows XP. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Comment

USB 1.01 is much slower than USB 2.0, in fact USB 2.0 is said to be faster than Fire-Wire/IEEE394. USB 2.0 can transfer approx. 100 Mbps, where as USB 1.1 transfers about 10 Mbps.

These stats aren't 100% accurate, but rather close to actual.

Comment

Knowing what sort of USB devices he's talking about would be good.

Are we talking about USB PCI contoller cards, peripherals or what (I hope that your not talking about mainboard embedded USB)?

Comment

Originally posted by wayout44
          Knowing what sort of USB devices he's talking about would be good.

Are we talking about USB PCI contoller cards, peripherals or what (I hope that your not talking about mainboard embedded USB)?
          Can I simply install a PCI USB 2.0 card? If so, that's what I need. Seems there should be more to it.

Comment

Go ahead and install your 2.0 PCI card, just remember that because the card is 2.0, any older USB devices you have will still run at 1.1

Comment

right dude, basically it's plug and play, especially if you already have the drivers, otherwise that's it.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who responded with information. I now know what I must do to have a 2.0 USB port.

Comment

Working...
                X