Review the reviewer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review the reviewer

Somebody called Cohen bagged the GA7VRXP board on 13 May. No one knows who Cohen is as he declines to tell us. Does he have an axe to grind? Maybe he sell mobos for Gigabytes opposition?

Statments like "Destroys C drives" are downright ridiculous but a non technical reader might actually believe this load of crap.

He makes wild unsupporterd assertions and Tweaktown just publishes it all and allows his rating to skew the overall ratings for this board.

This sort of thing seems to happen frequently. It invalidates your rating system at Tweaktown. Ratings should only be accepted from genuine sources and you need to work out some method to reject "non-constructive baggings from dubious unidentified individuals"

You really need to have a moderator on your ratings system?

umm.. could you please provide a link?
    TweakTown SETI@home Team

Comment

I'm a bit confused here. What "RATINGS" are you referring to, and how is it something to do with TweakTown? The only ratings that have anything to do with our reviews here at TweakTown are those that are given out by the reviewer himself, and these are not subject to change by anyone, not even myself as I edit the reviews posted on this site.

If this has to do with a news posting, then please be aware that we post news from all around the world. While we try our best to weed out the obviously nonsense articles that are sent to us daily, we cannot hope to be able to realistically read every piece that gets a news blurb. And again, even if this is the situation, how does it become detrimental to our own in-house rating system?

Also, we do not (nor ever have to my knowledge) have anyone by the name of Cohen working for TweakTown.

Please provide a link or some further information about this. If there is a problem somewhere, it will be addressed. But as things stand right now, I have no real idea where (or if) there is a problem that I need to take care of.

Mike "Darthtanion" Wright
      Editor in Chief
      TweakTown
      Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
      My Toys

Comment

I am talking about the pricegrabber reviews. Specifically their reviews on the Gigabyte GA7VRXP motherboard. I whinged to Tweak Town as pricegrabber don't seem to have a means to feedback comments. Since their reviews form part of the Tweaktown site, possibly they might recieve my bleat if I squeal loud enough

Comment

I agree that "Destroys C drives" would appear to be unjustified and uninformed.
          Please understand that the content provided by using the search box for Pricegrabber.com located within the TweakTown site is fully provided/ maintained by Pricegrabber.com and is not in any way controlled by TweakTown.

It is certainly confusing that doing such a search brings results on a page completely bordered by the TweakTown layout. I would consider it best if the search were to open a new page that is wholly Pricegrabber in content:?:
          The presentation does give the appearance that TweakTown has something to do with the content provided, but I assure you such is not the case.

Pricegrabber is simply one of many tools available in the arsenal of an online shopper to check on product pricing, merchant reliability and product availability.
          I fully agree with you that the reviews only go so far, as they can be provided by anyone without any consideration for what their motive may be for making a good or bad review. Or any accounting for what level of technical expertise they may possess.

Fortunately it appears you are a fellow able to sort out the chaff from the wheat. Pricegrabber.com can be a valid tool for online shoping, but it shouldn't be considered the final word on a product.
          Personally I like the reviews provided for the vendors best, as they let me know a bit about the reliability of their service.
          When it comes to hardware reviews, I find them readily available online from sources I know and trust (like TweakTown, Anandtech and Tom's Hardware for example). Those are probably far superior to me, as they come from people who are familiar with testing standards and have a reliable amount of technical ability.

As for Cohen? To the best of my knowledge he is in no way affiliated with tweaktown.com. However through the feedback options at Pricegrabber he is as entitled as anyone else to put in his 2 cents worth.

Pricegrabber is just a tool, and a decent one at that.
          Perhaps in future TweakTown could at least provide a disclaimer for the Pricegrabber link. If not fully removing the TweakTown content from around the search results entirely.
          The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Comment

Working...
          X