How NVIDIA Stuffed the GTX 280

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How NVIDIA Stuffed the GTX 280

Please feel free to comment about our story entitled "How NVIDIA Stuffed the GTX 280"

Re: How NVIDIA Stuffed the GTX 280

Shane, nice work telling it how it is. I like the thumbs down. Hopefully NV will take into consideration all of this feedback that is being reported. Large numbers of reviewers and gamers are quite disappointed with the performance / price of this card. NV took a risk going with the 65nm process in hopes to beat ATI to the punch but like classic NV, the production costs are coming back around and biting them in the backside. It will be interesting to see how NV responds...if they do at all.

Comment

Any idea how the HD 4870 will stack up against the GTX 260 Shane?

Comment

Like many people have said before, nvidia had to rush out 8800 GT GTS 512, because of 3850 and 3870, it could not stand idle watching those 3800s stomping their cards at all range. Later on with 3800X2, nvidia had to put out the 9800 x2, nvidia's plan was once again sabotaged.
        So the pathetic situation of GX200 series did not just come out from the blue sky.

The only reason that nvidia took the lead so long was because ATI was busy merging, it was fun for nvidia. :P

Comment

Shane, I believe your interpretation of the GTX 280 is incorrect. As soon as the CUDA / PhysX optimized drivers are out next week, the GTX 280 is going to own the 9800GX2 in the face. Brute-force shaders (GTX 280) vs. dual GPUs with a high CPU bottleneck (9800GX2)? Exponential memory bus increases with every MHz increase (GTX 280)? The winner is clearly obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by AuDioFreaK39 View Post
            Shane, I believe your interpretation of the GTX 280 is incorrect. As soon as the CUDA / PhysX optimized drivers are out next week, the GTX 280 is going to own the 9800GX2 in the face. Brute-force shaders (GTX 280) vs. dual GPUs with a high CPU bottleneck (9800GX2)? Exponential memory bus increases with every MHz increase (GTX 280)? The winner is clearly obvious.

Well, add that one to the hype pile. I will believe it when I see it.

Comment

Yeah $800+AUD for a 13FPS increase over my 8800Ultra in Crysis is ROFL.

GTX280=What a huge disappointment.

Maybe the refresh will tempt me.

Excellent article. Someone who understands what gamers want is most welcomed, cheers.

Comment

Working...
              X