This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The__tweaker

Let's face it, compared to my 2.26 ghz P4 the Amd 2100+ crawls when encoding movies and sutch.. :)
    Well, My 2100+ with 512mb of SDRAM encodes a 2hr DVD movie to MPEG in right around 3hrs. Thats including the Audio, Multiplexing, and cutting in half for two discs. And, I havent had a bad encode yet. And, if thats not quick enough for ya, then you really need to quit sitting in front of your computer 24/7 and get a life, rather than sitting here watching your movie encode.

Comment

wooh!!!! :wow:
      i did listen that something like this is going on in "Publication Discussion" forums, but never knew it will be so amusing.
      everyone has a point, no matter they understand wat they are talking or not.
      nice :cheers:

Originally posted by Wiggo
      [b]As the old sayin' goes that I use in these topics, Certain horses for certain courses
      so did anyone listen that statement? : omg:
      Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
      Last Updated:
      10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
      ======================
      jabber : [email protected]
      =======================
      Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
      yabaa dabaa doo...
      Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by rkane
        So I guess it looks like my homemade benchmark won't do a lot in the world of high end computing. Maybe I can create a website and do a little more programming and get it into the world of business and workstations.

It's very obvious from the results of the tests being done with it that the Athlon is much better for a workstation processor doing typical Business apps.

Wonder why AMD is having so much trouble getting them into businesses around the world.
        Actually, your benchmark is fine. It's not bloated with stuff that can skew the results like a lot of other benchmarks out there. It seems to be pure Excel and nothing more.

But that's also what's wrong with it..... It only does Excel. So if you wanna know how fast your system is in Excel, your benchmark will do an excellent job. ;)

As for AMD not being able to break into the corporate market with significance.... well I couldn't tell you exactly but it might have something to do with the fact that a lot of people out there still perceive AMD as being the generic brand. And although most people usually don't have a problem buying the generic brand for their personal use, corporations usually won't touch generic brands with a ten foot pole.

Take my boss for example. I work for a growing company and every time we hire on a new person in the office, my boss gives me the job of buying a new workstation for that person. But he won't let me get anything that doesn't have a P4 in it. I keep trying to talk him into an AMD system but he won't hear of it.

Well one day I asked him, "Why won't you let me get a system with an AMD CPU in it? They are better for the type of office work we do here in the office?"

His response was, "Well isn't AMD generic? Aren't they the cheap brand?"

I said, "NO! The use to be but now they are just as good as Intel with respect to power and reliability. If not better in some ways..... Like office applications."

He looked at me and thought for a few seconds and then said, "Just order 'em with Pentiums."

I shook my head as I turned too walked away. : omg:

The thing he doesn't realize is the computer he relies on the most, our main file server downstairs, is build around a single AMD Athlon 1600+. It is a custom system built by the third party company he hired to set up his network when he moved into his office(s). (I was hired in after the network and offices were setup.)

Companies are just weird like that.

Comment

Originally posted by amd_man2003
          And, if thats not quick enough for ya, then you really need to quit sitting in front of your computer 24/7 and get a life, rather than sitting here watching your movie encode.
          lol no that's not fast enough at all, time is money and that may do if ya encode like one movie a week but it's not fast enough if you need plenty of em' done per day.. ;)

Oh and 3 hours with that pc chip/sd ram mobo? Don't over exaggerate my man..

Comment

Originally posted by Shad0hawK
            how about one running the same clock speed? 2.26 mhz vs 2.26 mhz, sounds fair to me! i only spent US on this processor, how much did your p4 2.2 cost? :D
            Yep $90 + $20-50 bucks for some better cooling in order to manage that oc I assume.. ;)

Well ya see same speed won't help because the lack of SSE2 instructions makes every XP quite slow in those apps compared to the P4 line of cpu's. And if you think It's B.S just because I mentioned it so ask someone else and they might explain to ya what SSE2 means.. :devil win

Comment

Originally posted by [size=6
              asklepios[/size]]
              As the old sayin' goes that I use in these topics, Certain horses for certain courses
              so did anyone listen that statement? : omg:
              I don't think so somehow. :shrug:

Comment

Yep + -50 bucks for some better cooling in order to manage that oc I assume.. ;)

Well ya see same speed won't help because the lack of SSE2 instructions makes every XP quite slow in those apps compared to the P4 line of cpu's. And if you think It's B.S just because I mentioned it so ask someone else and they might explain to ya what SSE2 means.. :devil win

How about you? Why don't you explain it to him. How about explaining it all of us for that matter.

But while you're at it, you may want to check out these benchmarks from Tom's Hardware because all three of the ones I have below are for some form of video encoding/rendering. While he didn't include a 2.2GHz P4 in his lineup, I find it interesting that a 2.2GHz Athlon beat out a 2.4GHz+ P4 in all three tests. Geez.... in two of 'em a 1.8GHz Athlon beat out a 2.4GHz+ P4. In fact in the review a 2.2GHz Athlon beat a 2.4GHz+ P4 in 23 out of 27 benchmarks. And that's at least a 2.4GHz P4, in a lot of the benchmarks the 2.2GHz Athlon was beating 2.6GHz, 2.8GHz and 3GHz P4's. So don't try and tell me that a 2.2GHz P4 can hold it's own against a 2.2GHz Athlon........ I could probably count on one hand how many apps a P4 can beat an equally clocked Athlon. :p (By the way, I'm not what you would call a big fan of Tom's Hardware, but I went there because I knew he included a ton of CPUs in his review benchmarks.)

Comment

Some ppl are never convinced and more just don't know when to give up tryin' to convince them either. :rolleyes2

Comment

Yep + -50 bucks for some better cooling in order to manage that oc I assume.. ;)

again, what apps? and yes i know what sse2 is, duh. of course i could spout off about how AMD chips run 3dnow better than p4's do, the same result for the same reason. but it would be just as meaningless as what your saying.

make your benchmark and post it, or as i said earlier, put up or shut up.

and the 90 bucks was the cost of the chip, running with regular air cooling i already had.

Comment

Gee were ya bullied as a kid or something which made you forever hateful against the big boys aka Intel.. :rofl:

Most people knows how big advantage P4's have over Xp's in SSE2 apps, this I know for a fact cause I own a 2100+ who ain't got mutch encoding power at all compared to the P4. But I guess you have both chips running those kinds of apps to so ya know exaktly what ya speaking about. ;)

But again can't ya try hard and keep to this threads topic please which were the review on both companys new top chip. Or else this is going to be an endless "hate" aka flaming thread which leads nowere.. So please let us go back..

Go back and read the review once again and this time try [i]really ****ing hard to understand it and then tell us WHO did actually win the test..??? : omg:

Sorry but it's just so funny yet annoying to see how some people start to make shortcuts into other topics just because they can't defend their side within the main subject. But I have fate in ya, try extra hard this time and tell us who won the tests.

And yeah as some seem to be *****ing about Q3 beeing Intel biased so I'll let ya count that part out and look at the rest of the tests. I know ya can do it just try ya hardest.. Good luck..

Know let's see if ya man enough to stay on topic this time instead of chicken out.. :devil win

Comment

Gee were ya bullied as a kid or something which made you forever hateful against the big boys aka Intel.. :rofl:

Most people knows how big advantage P4's have over Xp's in SSE2 apps, this I know for a fact cause I own a 2100+ who ain't got mutch encoding power at all compared to the P4. But I guess you have both chips running those kinds of apps to so ya know exaktly what ya speaking about. ;)

But again can't ya try hard and keep to this threads topic please which were the review on both companys new top chip. Or else this is going to be an endless "hate" aka flaming thread which leads nowere.. So please let us go back..

Go back and read the review once again and this time try really ****ing hard to understand it and then tell us WHO did actually win the test..??? : omg:

Sorry but it's just so funny yet annoying to see how some people start to make shortcuts into other topics just because they can't defend their side within the main subject. But I have fate in ya, try extra hard this time and tell us who won the tests.

And yeah as some seem to be *****ing about Q3 beeing Intel biased so I'll let ya count that part out and look at the rest of the tests. I know ya can do it just try ya hardest.. Good luck..

Know let's see if ya man enough to stay on topic this time instead of chicken out.. :devil win
                        Hmmmmm..... what's the matter? Can't take the heat so you keep trying to divert the conversation by accusing us of not being on topic? Well, the last time I read the review it was about "Intel 3.2GHz P4 vs. AMD Athlon XP 3200+" and that is exactly what the topic of our conversation has been! Intel vs. AMD!

Comment

Originally posted by das9092
                          [BIn fact in the review a 2.2GHz Athlon beat a 2.4GHz+ P4 in 23 out of 27 benchmarks.
                          now here is something from the conclusion page to the review you linked to

[b]In our extensive benchmark tests, the P4 is always in the lead - we talked about this in our last article High-Flying: AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Squares Off Against Intel P4 3 GHz. To be fair, it must be said that AMD offers a good performance/ price ratio with its Athlon processors, but it still cannot quite keep up with the Intel CPUs.
                          my god what kind of a moron are you anyways?
                          i m lmao on the thought that u r telling us that AMD is better than Intel and linking us to a review which has a conclusion page like this : omg:

again that review proves Wiggo's point but then who is listening.
                          Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
                          Last Updated:
                          10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
                          ======================
                          jabber : [email protected]
                          =======================
                          Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
                          yabaa dabaa doo...
                          Customized for 1024x768

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
                            now here is something from the conclusion page to the review you linked to

i m lmao on the thought that u r telling us that AMD is better than Intel and linking us to a review which has a conclusion page like this : omg:

again that review proves Wiggo's point but then who is listening.
                            Well because you felt the need to call me a moron, I'll explain to you how much of a moron you are and how much you didn't listen!

1) I didn't say that the Athlon came out on top in that review!

2) I pointed out that a 2.2GHz Athlon beat a 2.4GHz P4 in 23 out of 27 benchmarks in that review!

3) I pointed this out because tweaker said his 2.26GHz P4 could out pace a 2.2GHz Athlon in video encoding/rendering apps. To which I showed that in three of the video encoding/rendering tests that THG did, a P4 could not out pace an equally clocked Athlon.

4) The fact remains that the only way a P4 can ever out pace an Athlon in 85% of the apps out there is through shear brute force clock speed. If this review had been about a 3.2GHz Athlon vs. 3.2GHz P4 how do you think the P4 would look then? It would probably be owned

Comment

All right folks, the flames can stop right now or this post will... your call. I'm getting tired of the bickering and name calling. It is getting old and accomplishes nothing productive. If you have a problem with that, feel free to email me. I'll call you names to your heart's content. :rolleyes2
                              Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
                              My Toys

Comment

Originally posted by asklepios
                                LOL I second that m8, hovewer I agree to Darth post, let's stop this as it's no point to argue

[Edit]
                                I have deleted the remainder of the post because some don't know how to listen to a hint. Let us hope that I don't have to be more direct in my problem-solving methods.

Darth

[/Edit]

Comment

Working...
                                X