Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quack 3 Arena? ATI's Radeon 8500 cheating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quack 3 Arena? ATI's Radeon 8500 cheating?

Up to you to decide. I ran across this article while looking for case modification articles. Apparently ATI put out some drivers that could affect results obtained by benchmarking of the Quake 3 Arena demos.

Does their 'tweak' affect the product in whole, while giving them a percieved bump in FPS?

Check it out: [H]ardocp.com's article.

Raven
    Chris "Raven"
    News Crew - TweakTown
    <!--
    <font size=1>
    <font color=green>Main Beast:</font>
    - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
    - 2x80GB WD 7200RPM | 40x12x48 Sony CDRW | Pioneer 16X DVD
    - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
    </font>
    // -->
    "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

How to ask a good question

Originally posted by Raven
    Does their 'tweak' affect the product in whole, while giving them a percieved bump in FPS?
    Maybe you know this but im a little confused by that. Anyway, from memory, the drivers saw the name of an entry in the registry and could then know when it was playing Q3. It then made the image quality lower to improve FPS. It wont affect other games unless it can do that to them aswell and i dont think it can to any others

Comment

Easy fix to the problem ->
      Buy a Ti500 and you wont have to worry
      :p

Comment

Already on top of that ;) Just want everyone to know the full monte, ya know?

Not like I'm going to buy a (in my eyes) much less useful ATI card, in lieu of the graphics powerhouse of a GeForce3, anyways!

Raven

Comment

Drat.. linked from hotmail, didnt show as registered user.

Anyways, yes what it did was optimize for Quake3.. which 'may or may not' give a 'boost' to benchmarks. That 'may or may not' give it a virtual edge that it doesnt have in the other areas of the overall card.

Like I said, for you to decide!

Raven

Comment

[making up for missed post 1]
            Chris "Raven"
            News Crew - TweakTown
            <!--
            <font size=1>
            - Athlon XP 1800+@1701MHz | EPoX 8KHA+ | Corsair 512MB XMS3200C2 | GeForce3 Ti200
            - Swiftech MCX462+ / Tt Smart Case Fan 2 | Antec 1030SX case w/ 431W Enermax PSU
            </font>
            // -->
            "Look at life like your morning cup of coffee. You might have one every day, yet you still enjoy it."

Comment

[making up for missed post 2]
              Chris "Raven"
              News Crew - TweakTown
              <!--
              <font size=1>
              </font>
              // -->

Comment

Working...
              X