Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Folding@Home Team - Project Tweakers (Team #63)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Folding@Home Team - Project Tweakers (Team #63)

Is folding@home an example of grid computing or is it a beowulf cluster? Is there a difference between the two? From what I've read there's really not much difference.

Comment

i recomment that you all hook up with maximum pc, they really enjoy the idea of protein folding

Comment

congrats and good luck

Comment

the easiest way to install folding on a windows pc is to use service gui - available here http://devel.bluetentacle.co.uk/dc/fahservice/index.htm

I've used it to install folding on over a hundred PC's

it makes it very easy on dual processor (or more) PC's
          http://community.smoothwall.org/foru...ic.php?t=20262

Comment

hey... :)

nice forum.. i stay here:)

Comment

Guys sorry to be a pain but what do you mean by the term 'folding'?

Is it a programme that you use?

Comment

The term folding i think mearly refers to what the program actually does. This is more biology than computing. When proteins are created (right down to the strings of amino acids) they are created in what is more or less a straight line. This however cannot be properly utilised by organic systems, and therefore a different structure has to be adopted. Folding is what proteins do for this, and the reason that this is so important is that differently folded proteins interact with different organic and inorganic molecules differently. Im impressed im using the word 'different' so often.

In other words...think of a piece of string. Thats your amino acid chain. Scrunch it up into a mixed up ball and thats your protein. Now twist it and scrunch it up in a different way, and you have a different shaped protein. Different folds means different interactions, which means many things for drug interactions.

So in closing. Folding@Home is a program that computes proteins folding in different ways.

Hope that helps.

also...just noticed this link on the project tweakers page, it goes a wee bit more in depth... http://www.project-tweakers.com/html/team/about.html
                Last edited by atocp; 04-27-2007, 01:28 PM.

Comment

How do you join the team? I've got the client running so it will use as much of my processor as it wants, how do I join team 63? Solmeone send me a link or something?
                  Current system:
                  - Intel Q8200 Processor (2.33GHz) (7x multi, roughly 340MHz FSB)
                  - Intel DG45ID Motherboard (stupid locked BIOS >:( )
                  - 6 GB DDR2 RAM (667MHz)
                  - PNY GeForce 9500GT (750MHz Core clock, 1900MHz Shader clock, 500MHz Memory clock)
                  -585GB SATA HDD (7200RPM)

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisname View Post
                    How do you join the team? I've got the client running so it will use as much of my processor as it wants, how do I join team 63? Solmeone send me a link or something?
                    I've joined the team, with the GPU and CPU clients.

I'm going to leave my PC on all night with no other non-system processes running if I can.
                    Current system:
                    - 6 GB DDR2 RAM (667MHz)
                    - PNY GeForce 9500GT (750MHz Core clock, 1900MHz Shader clock, 500MHz Memory clock)

Comment

I just started Folding the other day, I would be interested in joining our Tweakers Team...

Best Quote Ever...
                      Originally posted by Psycho101
                      Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
                      Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Comment

Originally posted by grishkafool View Post
                        I just started Folding the other day, I would be interested in joining our Tweakers Team...
                        Right click the icon which looks like balloons and click "Configure..." and then look down to the Team box and type 63 into it.
                        Current system:
                        - 6 GB DDR2 RAM (667MHz)

Comment

Thank you. I just didn't want to assume that it was an open invitation to join.
                          Last edited by grishkafool; 04-18-2009, 04:23 PM.

Best Quote Ever...
                          Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
                          Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Comment

Does this mean that we are the Top Team?

Best Quote Ever...

Comment

If it did, it doesn't anymore....

Best Quote Ever...

Comment

404: Not Found on the "details" page mentioned in initial post
                                My advice - never visit a short-url, no matter who gives it to you. You can't trust any source at any time when you don't know your target
                                Whitey:Snuggles: Zotac Zbox HD-ID40 (Atom d525, worst purchase ever on cpu), Patriot Pyro 60GB (Thanks to Tweaktown Giveaway), 4GB 800' DDR2 SO-DIMM
                                Bcube (NAS): ASUS F1A75-I Deluxe, AMD A6-3500 @ 2.1GHz, LSI 9240-8i (M1015) controller, GSkill Ares 1866 8GB blue kit, 4x Seagate SV35.5 2TB, 1x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB, 1x Samsung HD103UJ, 1x Samsung F4 2TB, Temp. Rebel9 Alu case, Corsair H60, 2x Icy Dock MB973SP-B, NZXT UI01, Enermax T.B. Silence on docks and cpu, Aurum 500W gold PSU. (Draws 65W average, doesn't peak above 100W at any time)

Comment

Working...
                                X