A Huge Problem With Aol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Huge Problem With Aol

I have a big problem with AOL that just started recently. I know AOL isn't the best service out there and yes, I have Comcast High Speed Internet and there is really no need to use AOL but I have a bit of compassion for their service. Plus, at the time I signed up I really needed internet b/c my Comcast wasn't working and the AOL free trial disc just happened to come in the mail and also I've been calling to cancel my free trial which was up 3 months ago and they keep giving me a free month so I'm going to use it...

The story goes...

One day I was on AOL and I went to to right click and downlod an .mpeg file from a website and the Save As box quickly came up and disappeared. I tried to right click the file again and the menu wouldn't come up. I thought something was wrong so I tried to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to force close AOL and it wouldn't come up. All of a sudden, this warning came up saying:

An Error has occured. If you recieve this error repeatedly, please close and restart AOL.

I clicked Ok thinking it would go away and all it does is come back up and come back up and I can't get rid of it and I end up having to force shut down my computer by using the power button and lose all my work b/c I can't get to anything, not task manager, nor my other programs, nor the shutdown command... HELP! I've tried reinstalling the software and it just keeps comming up.
    --Mjha--

Re: A Huge Problem With Aol

Don't use AOL. Unless the problem happens in Internet Explorer without AOL, I don't see any problem.

Comment

Hmmm.. AOL is a huge problem in itself. The message "An error has occurred" probably just translates into "AOL has started up". It's likely you downloaded, or it downloaded a virus for you.

Comment

Im only still using AOL because every time I call to cancel and say I don't have the money to pay for it (which I don't), they always give me an extra month free. My free Trial was done in September, but I've have every month after that free...
        --Mjha--

Comment

Just uninstall it, they can keep giving you free months all you want, but they can't force you to use the software.

Comment

AOL is the devil. It took me 3 months to get them to cancel my service. They would call me once a month stating I had an overdue balance and I kept giving them the cancellation number I got from the operator the month before. Thank God I never gave them a credit card number.........
            GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
            AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
            Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
            Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
            Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
            PC P&C 500W PSU
            2TB Seagate
            Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

True. When I was 14 years old, I signed up for AOL b/c It was all I ever used and I liked it somewhat. I gave them a pre-paid debit card number and after the free trial, they kept trying to charge me but there was no money on the card and I ended up racking up a charge of about $100 before they reported me to a collection agency... I avoided all the calls and eventually they dropped it all - I mean, I was only 14 years old anyway - what could they do?
              --Mjha--

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                Don't use AOL. Unless the problem happens in Internet Explorer without AOL, I don't see any problem.
                AOL's software has a way of rearranging Internet Explorer into a new browser for it's own use, and keeps five programs running constantly even when AOL isn't in use, so running IE without AOL may not solve your problem!

There's no info in the thread as to whether or not you still use AOL, or if you've since uninstalled it. There's a great page at CNet for uninstalling AOL if you still want to; it's located at: http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0....sageID=1300031.

I've devoted two subdomains and ten pages to my problems using, cancelling, and uninstalling AOL. One is: http://marahs-aol-log.livejournal.com/ . The other is: http://marahs-aol-log.livejournal.com/. There's great links for reading other people's AOL horror stories, learning how to cancel AOL without being taken to the cleaners, and uninstalling their software without wrecking your computer. In uninstalling AOL I wrecked mine twice, so I speak from experience!

Good luck, whatever the situation is!

Marah Marie

Comment

I signed up for AOL early last summer when I went on vacation, the reason was to save a little money on phone calls from the motel room since our cell phones didn't cover the area we went to and figured contact by MSN messenger might help out a little. I found out the hard way not to d-load their software from the internet, its full of spyware and other pests that will reek havok on your system, I ended up reformating my laptop shortly afterwards, the tech support person at AOL told me that if you install their software from a disc instead of downloading it you will be much better off, he even told me that the downloaded version is packed with all kinds of surprises, I atleast thought his honesty was worth something.
                  I just thought I'd mention this incase you have spyware or something like it stopping you from doing what your trying to do. Maybe if you uninstall AOL and do a good system cleaning then use a disc to reinstall it if you really feel you need it. you might get it working again.

Comment

That may be what it is. I did use the donwloaded version. Well, it doesn't happen until a while after I open the program and start surfing. But, the problem has gotten, as of Feb 1st, another free month.
                    --Mjha--

Comment

heheh
                      Attached Files

Comment

You poor boy, you should get a nicer isp and firefox!!(mozilla.com)

Comment

Working...
                        X