new video card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new video card

hey guys i could use a little advice. i'm building a new computer system to replace my old one. i'm using a abit kr7araid mobo with a xp1800 cpu. i'm going to load windows xp also. the problem is the video card to use. i don't do the games. i do some word processing and internet surfing. i want to spend around $100.00 us on a new card. what video card would you guy recommend? any help is greatly appreciated.

Since gaming won't be your main goal, you might want to check into some of the ATi cards available. They tend to produce better 2D output than the nVidia line, and ATi is normally pretty decent about updating drivers.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Comment

As well as the ATI range, some of the Matrox cards out there are very good for 2D graphics..

It's a bit of a shame to see an Athlon XP go to waste like that though.. :(

Comment

sheesh, for $100US you can get a GF2 64M MX - then if you decide to game you still can :D

and that's shopping at best buy or fry's, not online you could get a better card.

Comment

Depending on whether we're talking about US, Aus, Cdn or some other type of $$$ - You could get a Radeon 7200 64MB for that price range.

Very similar performance to a GF2MX400 & I feel it has slightly better IQ

Comment

sorry this is way off topic but i noticed RDR that you are from toronto too, there doesn't seem to be too many of us here. So i was just wondering where you do your computer shoping, I 'm trying to find a good place to go for when i upgrade my video card, hopefully to a geforce 4 or geforce 3 ti 500, maybe that new ati 8500le at 128 mbs, but the computer place i usually shop at doesn't carry any gf3 ti 500 cards... do you have any suggestions where i can get a good deal,, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by infielder6
              sorry this is way off topic but i noticed RDR that you are from toronto too, there doesn't seem to be too many of us here. So i was just wondering where you do your computer shoping, I 'm trying to find a good place to go for when i upgrade my video card, hopefully to a geforce 4 or geforce 3 ti 500, maybe that new ati 8500le at 128 mbs, but the computer place i usually shop at doesn't carry any gf3 ti 500 cards... do you have any suggestions where i can get a good deal,, thanks
              I spend about $60K per year on computer hardware at work - I buy most of my stuf here: http://www.elcosystems.com and here: http://www.insight.com/cgi-bin/bp/ca...ml?bpsession=0 - mostly because they were willing to give me the best corporate discount, Net45 terms & next day delivery :D

For online shopping or walk in - try these guy's

hope you find what you're looking for

Comment

:thumb: thanks alot for the info.. :bounce: :bounce2:

Comment

hmm...i think abit kr7araid mobo with a xp1800 cpu is a little too much for a pc thats jus for word processing and surfing the net :D

:snip:

Comment

probably true but at least he can brag to his friends while he surfing.. and typing

Comment

Working...
                    X