• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/ choosing vid card

ME-
    14 yrs
    not much money
    loves pc games

I was looking at some video cards for my computer. I was lokking at the ATI Radeon 9000 pro ($130) and the GF4 Ti4200-8x ($150) 128mb. Which would be better for my pc

SPECS-
    2000+ xp (standard, no OC)
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP
    512mb of ddr333 ram
    gf2 mx400 -

right now i get 2300 in 3dmark 2002 SE, i would like to get 8000+.

My budget would have to be $150.
    Please give me some advise.
    Thanx

Knowin' this mobo very well and the probs that others have had with it and GF4 Ti's (not mine as the prob is batch related but not real clear) I'd have to suggest the R9000P. I have a plain Gigabyte R9K on an XP1800+ @ XP1900+ whch scores 7500pts so the Pro will get ya there. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Ive seen 3 versions of this card (9000 pro)

128mb 4x agp

64mb 4x agp

64mb 8x agp

Which is best 4 me?

Comment

i have a 250W power supply.

will i need to upgrade?

Comment

Get the 128MB version for more "future proofing" though the 64MB versions maybe a touch quicker but unless ya plannin' on usin' the card in a future mobo upgrade then 4x will be enough as the mobo that ya have won't support the 8x rate and it will be runnin' at 4x instead. Probably best to get the Gigabyte MAYA also for the Gigabyte mobo. ;)

As for the PSU ya already under the minimum required but some PSU's will be ok and the R9000/9100 doesn't have the power probs that the R9500/9700 can create. :)

Comment

my mobo DOES support 8x agp

Comment

350W would be good?

Comment

Ok then ya have the more updated version to mine so get the 8x then as it will give a slight performance boost. ;)

Yes that would be better but good PSU's will give ya a "Total Combined Wattage" for the 3.3v & 5v rails so check to be sure that this has at least 185w ratin' or more. :devil win

Comment

ya, lol, i got my mobo, ram and cpu last saturday.

used to have a 500mhz p3

256mb pc100

thnx

Comment

Being a fellow gamer i'd have to disagree. If you get a descent ti 4200(albatron make a quality card) with good cooling you can get ti 4600 performance. Worth the extra few dollers if you ask me as your not missing any features.:shoot3:

Comment

http://shop3.outpost.com/product/3453183 <----would this PSU work?

Comment

well.... its a chaintech ti 4200, but im not planning on overclocking.

Comment

I thought you said u were a gamer:no: . Overclocking a graphics card is the simplist thing to do. Considering how much extra performance you get maybe you should try it
                          :cheers:

Comment

well.... i will need to learn how to OC.

-NOTE-
                            How do have ur specs at the bottom every time?

Comment

Well there are several guides around that tell you all the complicated stuff for a more simple guide check out mine at:http://www.geocities.com/rugbydude69...rclocking.html
                              :cheers:
                              Note:Go to your profile options and type in your specs as you signature:devil:

Comment

Working...
                              X