9700Pro possible device failure !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9700Pro possible device failure !

Please please help. I suspect a faulty card, but someone may know otherwise, or at least how I find out.

I have just built a new system;
    P4 3.06, 200GB ATA133 HD, 512 RAM, Gigabyte Radeon 9700 Pro Maya 2, Gigabyte GA-8INXP E7205 Granite Bay MBoard.

Every now and again, sometimes twice in 30 minutes, sometimes no crashes in hours, the PC temporarily locks, beep (single beep), the display then goes all large, so I only see a quarter of Windows all zoomed in and Windows XP Pro reports;

'MS Windows detected and recovered from a device failure. Please save and reboot to restore full functionality.'

The PC is still working, if writing a CD this finishes okay, and a reboot sorts it out.

My friend has an identical error, he has a different motherboard, the only common parts are Corsair XMS RAM, E7205 Granite Bay Motherboard (his is Asus), Radeon 9700 Pro (his is another brand).

This happens under Catalyst 3 and 2.4 drivers.

Please help anyone !!! Is this the Radeon and/or how do I determine which device is failing.

Also, I get speckles appear in graphics under both Catalyst versions. hmmmmmm ?

Thanks !

My first thought would be the "Is the power supply enough to cope?". ;)

If that's ok I'd be havin' a chat with Gigabyte as both come from them. :)

Also go to the Event Viewer (under Admin Tools in the Control Panel) and see what is being logged there for these "events" (errors and faults are logged by time) as that can be of real use. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Wiggo

Many thanks.

The PSU is an Enermax 550W, so no problem there, but the Event Log showed some system hangs and a lot of reference to ATI, so definitely a card problem me thinks.

Thanks again, I will post again when I find the definitive solution.

Comment

Hi

I have _exactly_ the same problem, except my system hangs about 30 seconds after I try to use 3dmark or UT03.

I have an Asus P4G8X deluxe, 2GB of 2100 DDR memory, P4 3.06, and a Radeon 9700 Pro. I used to have an Asus Ahtlon system, and the Radeon worked fine, so I know it's not the card. I have an Enermax 550W PSU.

With my new system, it just crashes after I use anything 3d.

Had anyone found a way around this?

thanks
        lex

Comment

Darlex

I have found out what it is. Go to Control Panels, Admin Tools, Event Viewer, then click on system, scroll until you find a red cross, and double click the event.

You will (or should) find that when it crashed it should refer to an ATI2MTAG driver, or something along those lines.

If this is the case, PLEASE report it to ATI and your card manufacturer, the more complaints the quicker the fix will be.

GOOD LUCK !

Comment

try disabling fast writes and/or reducing the AGP speeds to 4X

this has helped in some cases with compatibility issues between the R9700pro and SiS 8xAGP chipsets - It may help with Intel 8xAGP chipsets as well - at least it's worth a try

It may help until the issus is resolved by ATi/Intel

Comment

hmm i hope everythings solves to the best for you guys.
              This things kinda scares me a bit. :(

Comment

Hi

There are no crosses under System in the Event viewer, but there are plenty of ATI Smart info thingies in Application under event viewer.

Incidentally, I've tried reducing AGP to 4X in the BIOS and disabling fastwrites to no avail.

Any further thoughts besides getting a new card? I hope the R350 comes out soon...

lex

Comment

No new ideas from me, apart from;

1. Email ATI and your card manufacturer.
                  2. Mine works fine in my shuttle case, so it is a driver/granite bay issue I think. So maybe try another brand of card.

But, what do I know, hopefully someone else will come up with a quick fix. :laugh: :cry:

Comment

try asking the question here:

lots more people with R9700's - maybe someone has found a solution

Comment

:flames:

Mine does the same thing, but it's not when i do any certain thing its at random times, though usually it'll happen when i try to view a webpage. But the difference here is i'm running a NVidia GeForce MX400 on my gateway comp. It's an older computer and doesn't have an AGP port, so i'm running PCI. Hopefully some of you will have some answers because i'm left clueless when it comes to this.

Comment

I see no mention of what chipset drivers are being used if any. Are they the default ones supplied by xp?
                        athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                        tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                        asus a7n8xe-dlx
                        thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                        bfg 6800gt
                        seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                        samsung dvdrw
                        2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                        logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                        2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                        creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                        mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                        DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                        thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                        seagate sataII 500gb
                        evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                        samsung sata dvd-rw
                        2x1024 ocz black
                        logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                        ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Yes they are the default drivers supplied by XP as the ones that came with gateway are not compatible with XP because my computer originally came with 98SE.

Comment

Well, what brand of chipset is it? Find out and get the proper newest drivers from the chipset manufacturers site. Sandra should tell you.
                            For example, I have a via apollo pro133 chipset. So I would goto Via's website and download the newest and correct drivers and have them ready on a disc for right after the os install. Included in these drivers is a proper agp port driver.
                            You are lucky, some chipsets are just hell to get working with xp. It crashes before you can install the drivers that keep it from crashing(can anyone say sis 735, and a few others), and can take like 10 tries sometimes.
                            athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                            tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                            asus a7n8xe-dlx
                            thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                            bfg 6800gt
                            seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                            samsung dvdrw
                            2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                            logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                            2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                            creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                            mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                            DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                            thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                            seagate sataII 500gb
                            evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                            samsung sata dvd-rw
                            2x1024 ocz black
                            logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                            ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

I would definetely make sure all mobo chipset drivers were installed and up to date and if all else fails u may have to flash your motherboard. Check the version and see if there are newer versions and what fixes they have done for each version in case u see one that fits your needs.

Comment

Working...
                              X