Using two video cards on one box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using two video cards on one box

I'm guessing this can't be done, but I'd thought I'd ask anyways. I was thinking about getting a PCI video card for my current machine, so I could hook up two monitors. Then on one monitor, maybe I could keep current projects open... word, games, etc, and then on the other monitor I could have, say my instant messages. It sounds like something that would be overly complicated if possible at all, but I'd thought I'd ask. Is there anyway to do this, without getting a second computer?

Thanks.

Yes it can be done (done it twice myself with 98SE) so long as the drivers for both cards can live with each other and be careful with your IRQ's and Windows 98 onwards does support this. ;)

Good Luck. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

ya I would do the same if I had a PCI video card on my hands. I have one but I don't know where it is.

Comment

hehe, I got a pci card. How hard is it to do what he's talking about?

Comment

It's easy to do, pretty much plug and play

Comment

Yes so long as ya watch for what I already said it is very easy (in SE anyway). ;)
            <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

yeah, it's rather easy. just remember to set whichever card you want (usually the better card / AGP) in the BIOS so it knows which one to use as a primary.

Comment

Nice:) Thanks, gonna try it out.

Comment

Thanks! Any suggestions for shopping for computer parts online? I'm looking at newegg.com, but their PCI video card selection isn't as large as I'd like.

Comment

Track down a Voodoo 3 PCI :p

Comment

PCI video cards are becoming harder and harder to find. I could be worth checking out places like eBay for people getting rid of their old cards though... Or you might be able to find someone selling some old GF2 MX PCI cards....

Just checked the Pricegrabber site.. There's a whole heap of PCI video cards there.. depending on your budget, you could get a GF4 MX PCI. :)

Comment

I am not sure about hte NT kernel based windows o/s's but I know that if you want dual videocards....you need to install the PCI first....then install the AGP card. Other wise it will not work! I had many ppl call me about this when I worked for Dell, and they were upset they could not get PCI and AGP to work in the same box. But this worked...

Comment

that's questionable... In my old Win98 PC I had my GF3.. I stuck in a PCI Matrox Mystique beside it and it ran fine...

Comment

Cheap but not bad PCI vid card:

Comment

I still say the Voodoo!
                              Even though they arent still around, you can still support them :D
                              My Voodooo 3 is still being used, better than an onboard i810 :p

Comment

Working...
                              X