Vision 3D replacing nVidia GT 425M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vision 3D replacing nVidia GT 425M

I would like to replace the GeForce GT 425M of the system by a Quadro 1000m. The Quadro 1000M needs 45W, while the GT 425M only requires 35 W. Would it be a problem?
    I read on another forum that the Vision 3D power supply is 90W capable, and the system with the GT 425M and the processor at full power consumes 82W

Re: Vision 3D replacing nVidia GT 425M

Thats an asrock mini pc right?
    I dont think those type of systems ,kinda like notebooks would take so well to upgrades.
    Is it still under guarantee?

a 90w psu. thats small by desktop standards.
    full power is 35-40 w for cpu? maybe 30-35w for the gx card and say 6-7 w for fans n drives n memory.

That on paper doesnt give you an option to upgrade to a gx card that could consume another 10w. I mean you might get away with it but those small boxes get very hot inside it seems and that wouldnt help power efficiency.
    Is it a straight swop mechanicaly.. maybe there are special connections on your card that wont be on the 1000m.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Yes is Asrock mini pc Vision 3D, I want to buy one of those because of ratio price/portability.
      It will be used to teach molecular mechanics, so I need quad buffer graphics not provided by geforce cards.
      The system is not going to be used to run batch jobs, only teaching, i.e, only full power demand on peaks
      On the pictures looks a mmx slot, I guess both quadro cards will fit on the slot without problem .
      I prefer to install the more recent quadro 1000m, but maybe the fx880m is safer (same power demand as gt425m)

My main concern is the power,
      The psu is 90w, it's all you can get.
      That's right the cpu is 35w, the gx card another 35w, and the rest 12w. It looks like only 8w are left to reach the psu limit.

Asrock technical support does not answer my mails.

Comment

Ah I thought you already had the machine.

Yeh I mean chances are 2 w over spec isnt going to cause any probs, depends on the load at the time and you wont be overclocking.
        What are the ambient temperatures likely to be?
        As you probably know psu power efficiency with temp is all the go now older ones were like 75% efficient at 40-50c now its get 80+ rated psu's
        Do you know the wattage rating for the different voltages in the psu?

I just checked a review of it..137b?
        It seems it gets very hot if you try and overclock..and it can be overclosked.

What you could do if your sure the 1000m will be a straight swop :

Get it and the 1000m .chances are it will be fine unless you were continously gaming which it is capable of as standard.

For extra insurance if you were worried , you could very slightly underclock the max cpu speed to pull a few watts off any cpu usage spikes and test exhaust air temperatures with a simple probe to see how efficient the psu might be.

The cpu might also work at full clock with a slightly lower voltage..should reduce the power consumption even at full cpu usage.
        These would be just extra insurance and probably not necessary.the psu since its original will have some leeway .. more than likely its capable of 95-100w even at slightly reduced efficiency.

Quality psu's anyway are only supposed to cut out and reset if overloaded.

If you want a little indication, the 3rd pc in my signature was supplied with a 140w psu.( I didnt know this until it failed)
        The cpu is a 95w max TDP the gx card that came with it was well say a 35 w tdp.That would leave about 10w for other items
        This was fine until I upgraded to a 50w TDP card and then decided to overclock the gx card.upping the TDP to 60-70w with commensurate temp increases and gx fan speed.

Take it then that I was now pulling 150-160w out of the psu 50% of the operating time with gaming usage and perhaps peaks of up to 170w.
        In a sense I was operating the engine at the red line for half the time and exceeding it.
        The psu lasted like 6 months.

You even with the 1000m might not even reach the "redline" on your usage., the worry I would have is the guarantee,something else might go in the guarantee period and having a non standard gx card in there might cause problems.
        I see there is a more advanced 3d vision machine out,the price is more advanced too.
        mho
        Last edited by kick; 02-08-2012, 03:27 PM.
        Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
        Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
        Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
        8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
        60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
        GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
        Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
        http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Comment

Working...
        X