GeFORCE4 FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeFORCE4 FPS

SUp, I have a Geforce4 MX420 Pci PNY. I get a low fps like 40-50 when playing counter-strike. I have the tool to adjust my setting too. I have tried to tweak it, but i still get low fps. My old voodoo card got more fps than this one. What should i do? what are the best settings?

thx

Um dude you got an MX. The suck. really the only relavience GF4 MX has to the GF4 line is the name. Nothing else. Hell a GF3 Ti500 can kick an MX's ass n e day.

My suggestion.......Buy a GF4 Ti 4200, pretty cheap card but really kicks some ass.

Comment

csplayer932 I have the GF4 MX440 and it pulls well over 100fps so maybe there is something wrong in the setup for you. :?:
      Give us the details of ya system and software. :smokin:

F**k You not all of us can afford them plus have ya seen a PCI version of them? ;)
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

The most limiting factor you have is that it is a PCI card.

Even the AGP version of that card is only equal to a fairly good Geforce 2.

I don't know why you are getting such low FPS in Counterstrike though. CS is based on half life, and neither of them require a Glide enabled card! So it can be played decently with the oldest of PCI cards. Heck, I get 85 FPS in 800 X 600 in Counterstrike on My PII 233, with a 16 meg PCI TNT !

I have an idea. Go into CS, Video Options, and make sure that you DO NOT have 'software' mode enabled. Anything else is better. Select OpenGL. That should do it I bet.

======

For todays use, The GF4 MX is just a good card for people who aren't going to be doing any gaming, and that is the reason it was even made in the first place.

Comment

i have a P2 400mhz...256mb ram. My setting for the geforce card are FOR opengl

anti aliasing - 2 samples
          textures -1
          color 16bits
          filtering mode: bilinear or tri
          v-sync default off
          buffer flipping: block transfer
          frames rendered ahead: 16
          micellaneous: buffer region extension ticked
          buffer regoin use video memory ticked
          geforce accelerated lines ticked...

cs is on opengl mode. default .

i have directx 8.1....i heard this can f*** your fps up too

Comment

Even the AGP version of that card is only equal to a fairly good Geforce 2.

Its not equal to a good GeForce 2 the Geforce 4 MX420 slightly outperforms the GeForce 2 Ultra whilst the MX440 outperforms all the GeForce 2's easily . Also you have an MX420, which is the cheaper ram/lower clocked version, and the most important thing is your card is PCI. PCI cards perform dramatically less than AGP cards of the same name. I think a GeForce 4 MX420 PCI would be about equivalent in performance to a GeForce 2 GTS. But even off that you should be easily getting 60+ FPS. My guess is a software bottleneck somewhere along the line, hard to say where.

Also F**K You (man your are so cool) GeForce 4 MX440's are good video cards and i am considering buying one myself, its just that i believe spending $380 on a Ti4200 seems ridiculous to me. $380 just to play games is a waste.

Comment

doesn;t the GF4mx 420 have SD ram?ewwww:D

Comment

No. it has DDR

Comment

I'm not suprised with that result, the GF4 MX420 PCI is pretty shocking! If it was AGP, than it would be better, a GF2 MX400 would be better than that and also, voodoo cards are still the best pci cards around, so go agp if u can!

Comment

Originally posted by Ehhe Yebeb
                    No. it has DDR
                    I was under the impression that the MX 420 model had SDR Ram as well - only the 440 & 460 models had DDR.

Reviews of the MX420 are very few and far between - where did you get this info from?

Comment

GeForce4 MX 420
                      Fill Rate: 1 Billion Texels/Sec.
                      Triangles per Second: 31 Million
                      Memory Bandwidth: 2.7GB/Sec.
                      Maximum Memory: 64MB

I got this directly from the nVidia website - 2.7GB/sec - that would have to be either 128bit SDR or 64bit DDR memory.

....or it's the lowest clocked 128bit DDR ever produced :D

Comment

Correct in the second bit RDR it is 64bit DDR. :thumb:

Comment

Im sure if this person could get an AGP card they would. A Geforce 4 MX 420 will outperform a GeForce 2 MX400 but not by much. You can get a Voodoo 5 5500 or voodoo 5 6000, they might be better, but they are also a rip off, and are no longer supported or made

Comment

GeForce 4 MX420 comes in SDRam and DDR models

Comment

They do support SDRAM but of the five I could find all were equiped with DDR SDRAM probably because they don't want to be out done in sales as ppl would just think that a DDR version was better anyway. :smokin:
                              <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

Working...
                              X