Windows 2000 pro
    ASUS V6800 Geforce1 GTS
    Asus CUSL-2 mobo
    PIII 1.0ghz
    512meg SDRAM
    Adaptec 29160 SCSI card
    Seagate Cheetah X15 Ultra160 15k rpm 18 gig hd

Hardware performance should not be an issue

Games ran laggy and/or choppy randomly throughout any given game (im talking high end games like Jedi Knight 2 and Soldier of Fortune 2, not cheezy games) The game would run choppy with all video settings turned down (games looked like crap) it would lag at any given point in the game...not only when many events were happening on the screen at once.

I updated my video card driver to the latest nVidia detonator driver. Still laggy

Got a new video card, so now my setup looks like this

Windows 2000 pro
    Visiontek Xtasy GeForce 4 Ti 4200 128meg DDR
    Asus CUSL-2 mobo
    PIII 1.0ghz
    512meg SDRAM
    Adaptec 29160 SCSI card
    Seagate Cheetah X15 Ultra160 15k rpm 18 gig hd

Still laggy.

Formatted my computer.....with hopes that this would correct the problem....i installed only the OS (win2k), and its security patches, as well as the latest detonator drivers. I did NOT install any drivers from the windows update site. I installed Jedi Knight 2 and Sof 2. One at a time, and tested each. STILL LAGGY *&^^%$#@!@#%^&* WTF!!!

My friend has the same exact setup, only he is running an ASUS Geforce 3 Ti 200 card and win XP. He doesnt experiance lag. Another friend is running an AMD, DDR, 1.4 ghz with Geforce 3 Ti500....he has no lag.

At this point im thinking its my operating system causing the problem, HOWEVER, another friend is running an AMD 700mhz with some low end crap video card with win2k, and he doesnt have any lag. Either someone shoot me, or help me cause this lag is giving me an ulcer

lag is a network term, is it only on the network or is it chunking up in single player as well?
    hwhe you said your friend computer was the same did that include the motherboard?

Comment

Sorry SegiY but lag is not just a network term but Dakz a little better description of your prob would be better like is it the video frames or mouse/keyboard functions? :smokin:
      <center>:cheers:</center>

Comment

I just had a thought here, is it possible your processor isn't being cooled enough? Either a bad mate between processor and HSf, or maybe you are in need of a better HSf? Either that or some better ventilation and airflow.

Are you using a shim? A poorly manufactured shim, or a sligtly bent one can hold the processor OFF the die.

----------------

Is that beasty hard drive being cooled? I bet that thing could fry an egg with no ventilation.

Do you have a crappy brand of ram? It too could be at fault.

Comment

Good Good...now we are getting some where...all very good questions...

First, its definetly video lag. But if your doubting the network, i am running 100meg full duplex switched environment to the desktop. Utilizing a cisco catalyst 2948-xl 10/100 24-port switch. I am uplinked to a Linksys DSL\Cable router with a cablevision (optimum online) 10 meg cable connection. It happens in single player as well. My friend with the 1.4ghz DDR AMD will start a server which i will join for a one on one. Just the two of us in the server, we both have cable connections. When i video lag, he will notice me get a little choppy, but only when i video lag REALLY BAD. If its just a little, he wont notice.

Also i forgot to mention, that when i video lag (even in single player) the sound will....well i guess lag too, mean that it gets choppy when the video gets chopy.

Now, zeradul made a very good point about air flow and temps that i didnt really even think about, but after seeing the pics that i just took of my pc, you would most likely dismiss air flow and temp as the culprit. at the time of this writing, my hd is reading at 32.6* C, and my CPU is reading 27.5*C. I will however accept the ram comment. that could be the problem, but i bought it from the local computer store, he only pushes quality products. Im not sure of the manufacture of the memory, i think it may be samsung, im not sure, but i know a lot of people who have been buying parts from him for years without any problems. Plus, the kid with the almost identical machine as mine and yes....its the same motherboard SegiY has the same ram. It could be that mine is just flakin out, but i dont have any problems with my os. ive gone over 4 week uptimes with this machine

Its a shame...i never overclocked the machine.

Comment

here

Comment

and another

Comment

some close ups

Comment

hmm this is quite strange....but it still sounds like a software problem....also have u checked ur framerat ein games to see if it's actually someinth else?:D

sometimes u just get incompatibilities with some hardware combinations...e.g santr cruze soundcards do strange thing when paired with win98 and directX8

Comment

Well, you've done your homework as far as cooling... haha... GJ! :thumb:

So far with the information we have here, I am going to bet that the most likely culprit is the motherboard. BUT, the ram could be the culprit as well. I have a friend with the mobo, and his will not boot with more than 256 megs of ram in, and he has reasearched it and found others with the same problem, so there is at least something a little wierd with some aspect of the board.

What I'd do before replacing the mobo, is get your buddy to come over and bring his PC. Start swapping parts into HIS system. One at a time. Ram first, then vid card, then I'd even say Hard drive, and continue with anything else that even remotely might be culprit. Each time boot up and try to recreate your problem on HIS system. If you can't do it, its your mobo, and if the shop owner knows you and knows you are smart, ask him for a replacement no matter how old it is.

Another thing just popped into my head, do you have any PCI (or ISA??) cards that are low rent? Just to be safe, try yanking them all and booting up. There is a decent chance that one of them is causing problems as the power supply is stressed (in game)

Btw, what brand is your PSu?

Are you using a processor shim? -- In the case that the processor temp you are getting is wrong -- it still might be over heating during a load.

Comment

zeradul ......im one step ahead of ya. I talked to my friend...one day this week im gonna swap out memory, even maybe video cards( although you must keep in mind that the problem did occur with my old Asus V6800, and i dont think there could possibly be any hardward compatability issues between and ASUS motherboard, and an ASUS video card. Its the same manufacture. ) There are NO ISA slots on the CUSL-2 and No low rent cards.....ive got a Hercules Fortissimo 2 (optical outs to my stereo reciever), And i know thats not the problem, cause the lag happened with my old creative sound card. Ive got the adaptec 29160, but i need that to boot, so i cant exactly pull it to test, ive got some 3com nic, and like 3 open PCI's. The only other thing is the agp.

as far as the PSU, im not sure....its an inwin tower...i got the power with the tower......and that could be the problem too.....i think its only 300w.

No shim...prolly should have gotten one!!! But i dont think thats the problem....ive got a digital thermometer on the cpu...right underneath the heatsink...but not in the way. I dont think ive ever seen my proc go higher than 33*c EVER!...

As far as your friend is concerned, i hope he is running BIOS 1009. thats the latest revsion they came out with for my board. ive heard of problems with 1006......but ive got 512meg...the max for the board (BOOOooooooo) and well.....it works fine with the exception of my mysterious lag problem.

If i find that the board or the memory is in fact the problem, here is my resolution

ASUS P4T533
                      P4 2.0a
                      512meg of RIMM 4200 (32-bit 1066 RDAM OWNZ YOU)
                      Ths tower with a 450w PSU

Comment

Working...
                      X