4850 Review Requested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4850 Review Requested

The HD 4850 is the new sweet spot in cards, except for its poor heat dissipation problem.

I imagine that in the next two months one of the video card companies such as MSI or Gigabyte will be putting out a 4850 card with better cooling.

I would request that the intrepid reviewers for TweakTown utilize their contacts and find out when this will be, and when I can purchase such a card at Newegg.

Looking forward to such a review. Thanks in advance.

Re: 4850 Review Requested

There are numerous easy fixes to the heat problems that involve some simple reprogramming of the fan speed.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

Originally posted by casecutter View Post
      There are numerous easy fixes to the heat problems that involve some simple reprogramming of the fan speed.
      Will the Riva tuner work by boosting the fan speed? Once boosted is the fan able to increase speed depending upon temperature or does it remain fixed?

I would rather have a card with adequate cooling built in rather than an inadequate reference card design cooler.

Comment

It's not the cooler's fault. It is the fault of the engineers stating they will run hotter than hell without issue and they keep the fan speeds very low for the least possible noise.

Radeon HD 4850 Heat issues - Guru3D.com Forums

There is the best source for the answer to this. I doubt we'll ever see a different cooler on these cards because using the reference cooler lets the manufacturers save money which they pass along with lower priced cards. Also, many of the existing aftermarket coolers that fit the 3850/3870 series cards also fit the 4850/4870 perfectly so that is also an option.
        GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
        AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
        PC P&C 500W PSU
        2TB Seagate

Comment

Looks like Sapphire and Power Color have both come out with better cooling cards.

Comment

Also, many of the existing aftermarket coolers that fit the 3850/3870 series cards also fit the 4850/4870 perfectly so that is also an option.
            Cards should never have to require an aftermarket cooler to be functional. Those that do should come with big yellow warning labels.

Comment

They don't require it. But if you have to have silence and great cooling, they are usually the only way. I put a Thermalright HR-03 GT on my 8800GT and I get much better overclocks with pretty much no noise compared to the nasty loud stock cooler. It's all in what you want out of your parts.
              GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
              AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
              PC P&C 500W PSU
              2TB Seagate

Comment

They don't require it. But if you have to have silence and great cooling, they are usually the only way.
                I can put up with some noise. I just don't want a hot card.

Just read that Sapphire has announced a their Toxic version of the 4850 that has a copper coil, a zalman fan, increased speed and runs cooler as well.

I think I will get this card when it comes out at Newegg.

Comment

Working...
                X