GeForce Ti/WinXP/OpenGL Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GeForce Ti/WinXP/OpenGL Problems

I have posted this problem on other forums, but so far no luck...I am hoping someone here can help me.

Here is my problem: I can not run any OpenGL games that run on the Q3 engine (i.e. Q3, RTCW, SOF2 beta) without my PC basically locking up. I drop to 0-1 FPS but the game will still be running. The lockups seem random, anywhere between 1-35 minutes. I can bring down the command window and quit the game (this takes a few minutes) but when I return to my desktop it is running extremely slow. Just to bring up task manager took 3-5 minutes. I was able to get task manager open and I noticed my CPU was maxed out at 100%. I have to reboot to get back to normal. I can run all my Direct 3D games without a problem, and I havent had any problems running games that can run in both modes like NASCAR 2002.

I have updated my motherboard bios to the latest version, tried every nvidia driver from 27.12 to the latest 29.20 beta drivers; each time I removed the old drivers, booted into safe mode, deleted any remaining nvidia .dll's, then rebooted normally and added the new drivers. I have installed the latest AGP drivers for my chipset. I have also changed my bios settings to run at 2X AGP, disabled fast writes and disabled SBA via GeForce Tweak. No luck with any of this. I am at a loss; I have visited the VisionTek website and filled out a problem report that was sent to them, but they have not gotten back to me. Here are my PC specs:

ASUS P4S333 motherboard with the latest version 1006 bios.
    SIS645 Chipset running the 109f AGP drivers.
    WinXP with all the updates loaded.
    VisionTek GeForce4 Ti4600 currently using the 28.32 nvidia drivers.
    Creative Audigy Gamer Sound Card.
    LinkSys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet
    1 x 512MB Corsair DDR333 Memory
    2.0GHz Northwood Pentium 4 with Thermaltake Fan and Heatsink.
    470 Watt Directron P4 compliant power supply

The sad part of the story is that I bought a GeForce3 Ti500 card for my kids PC 2 months ago, and I am having the same exact problem with it. It is a P3, running a via chipset and WinXP. I feel cursed, :).

Thanks in advance.

Im having similar problem...any luck yet?

winXP
    geforce2GTS 28.32 drivers
    soyo sy7vca mobo
    384 MB RAM
    P3 733Mhz
    sound blaster live
    etc
    etc....

half life runs great in d3d...etc
    but cant get openGL games to run/startup...pc freezes i have to turn power off!
    jedi 2 wont play at all :-(

Comment

Well this is rather bizarre :confused:

I don't think it is hardware, as Direct3D games work fine. What about other OpenGL games that don't use the Quake III engine? (eg DroneZ, VulpineGL).

I'm trying to draw a comparison between the two machines, and apart from the nVidia based graphics card I can only see that a SoundBlaster Live!/Audigy is there as well...

Anyone else? I'm bamboozled by this
      What came first - Insanity or Society?

Comment

i just got my problem sorted at last!!!!
        for some reason my system didnt like being set to AGP4x
        i switched to AGP2X and openGL now works great on quake 3 engine...yippeeee :-)
        thx
        J

Comment

i have the same mobo, but using ati radeon. i have exactly the same lockup problems anywhere from 1-10 mins. i was told that it is the chipset giving the problem(sis645). i'll let you know if it works fine when i buy a new board. i'm fed up.

Comment

Working...
          X