Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I get any faster?

Hello,

I've been wondering if I can churn out anymore umph from my computer, since I seem to be getting low framerates even on some low settings. I purchased a Radeon 9250 a few months back, and a trusted computer assistant I know said I could play just about any game on medium settings (maybe a few lows) and up. However, even with medium settings I can only get to about 35 fps in my fastest game (Call of Duty). Further, in Rome: Total War, I recieve max 30 fps with no more than 3500 men on screen; even less with a Lord of the Rings mod (between 4-20 fps for that, all low settings). I was wondering if there is any way to get more out of my games? Specs wise, I have a standard Dell PC, Windows XP. I'm guessing a standard motherboard (I have no AGP slots) and not sure of the power supply, though I what I know is:

Celeron CPU 2.60 GHz
    2.59 GHz, 512 MB Ram
    Radeon 9250

I have used the following guide, which claims to raise you 20 fps...to no avail. http://www.stratcommandcenter.com/rtw/maximizepc.php

Thanks,
    shenmueguru

Re: Can I get any faster?

ATI made a 9550 PCI video card, you should look for one of those. It is your only hope. Other than that, sell the dell and get a non branded PC. No AGP or PCI-E slot really puts a huge damper on your video card choices. ANd a Celeron processor hurts too. That low L2 cache makes it difficult for games to run well.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Comment

512mb of ram aint gonna help either
      E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Comment

With that system? I'd say 512MB isn't holding him back in anything.

Comment

Actually, I purchased the Radeon 9550 (AGP, accidentally) and the only thing different between that and the 9250 was the highest resolution...which the 9250 had. So, the 9250 was in fact better. Should I go into system BIOS and try to set things to their highest? That's the only thing I can think of now.

Comment

What do you mean highest resolution? are you talking about the desktop resolution...and what are you talking about in the bios, i doubt there is any option from a dell in the bios that would let you adjust anything with the video card.
            CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
            Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
            RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
            GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
            PSU: Thermaltake 500w
            SC: Audigy 2 zs
            LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
            Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
            Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Yea, I was thinking Dell may not have anything to tweak. For the 9550, the highest resolution was 1027 by 728, while the 9250 has 1027 by 728 by 32. Small difference, but it still places the 9250 above.

Comment

Originally posted by shenmueguru
                Actually, I purchased the Radeon 9550 (AGP, accidentally) and the only thing different between that and the 9250 was the highest resolution...which the 9250 had. So, the 9250 was in fact better.
                That doesn't make any sense. Every card in the last three generations of both ATI and nVidia has supported 2048x1536. The only difference is some support it at higher refresh rates, which is irrelevent because there aren't any monitors capable of supporting that resolution above 60Hz.

Comment

Okay, I'll have to check again. How much of a difference would going to 1g ram have? Are there many other solutions other than getting another videocard?

Comment

It'll make a big difference in loading times. It will also help actual performance in a couple games (particularly Battlefield 2), but that's it.

You can always overclock, but it will only take you to pretty slow from really slow.

Comment

I see. Besides the 9550 PCI, are there many other PCI cards better than the 9250?

Comment

There are a couple of nVidia cards, but you'll have trouble finding them.

Comment

Working...
                        X