performance problems with good comp :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• performance problems with good comp :(

OK I just recently purcahsed a BFG 6600 gt oc. I also purchased a P4P800 SE asus motherboard that I a mevery pleased with. I have a p4 2.8ghz but with my new mobo it runs at 3.36ghz. I have 768 mb of ddr ram whih runs at 2100. I am getting performance problems in battlefield 2 and half-life2 or counter-strike source. In battlefield 2 I have to run the settings on low with 800x600 resolution. I get 30-60fps. If I run on medium ill get 20-35 fps. In counter-strike source Ill get good fps like 100 but i nsome maps like cs_office when I am outside it wil lgo into the 20-35 fps range. Most of the time my fps changes from 30-60 fps. Now I know I have a good computer and from what I have read and seen benchmarks the 6600 gt oc runs games like css and hl2 really well. Even in doom I have to run on medium with 800x600 resoltuon and i will never surpase 60 fps (yes v-sync is off). Now the only problem I can see is my ram. I am thinking of purcahsing 3200 ram, 1 gig(512x2) dual channel. Now will this help my performance alot, or is there something I can od without purcashing new ram. If the real drop in performance is the ram then I will go buy some. Please help I just spent a lot of money on upgrades and want my games to run well.

Re: performance problems with good comp :(

Getting dual channel enabled with PC3200 will get rid of a big memory bottleneck that you have atm.

Comment

Agreed. A GB of PC3200 in dual-channel mode will make a huge difference. I'd guess you also have some software issues, meaning you have too many programs running in the background or older drivers. Even with your huge bottleneck, I think that's some pretty bad performance for that system.

My 9800 Pro and Mobile Athlon XP [email protected] handle Battlefield 2 at 1280x960 with 2xAA and everything but Lighting and Textures on high, as they are on Medium. It has 768MB of PC3500@200MHz with 2-3-3-7 timings. I don't know my framerates, but I know they never drop below 30 and for the most part it's smooth enough that I won't bother to check. Your performance seems lower than it should, bottleneck or not.

But the CS:S performance is terrible. This machine handles it at 1600x1200 with everything on high. When I had the 9800 Pro in a P4 2.0A with 768MB of RAM at PC2100 speeds, I could handle it at 1024x768 with high quality settings. Haven't checked the framerates, but they were in the 60s when I had it at 1280x960 (before it had occured to me that 1600x1200 was probably playable), and I have no complaints with the current performance. I probably could have handled more, but my monitor at that time wouldn't. Framerates were well into the 60s and 70s with vsync on. That machine was significantly weaker than yours, so I'd say with quite a bit of certainty that RAM isn't the only problem.

Comment

Ya thats what I was thinking that RAM was not just the issue. I just bought the card 2 weeks ago and I have been emaling BFG ever since. At first I thought it was my motherboard so I went out and bought the asus P4P800. It helped but not to much. I have no programs running in the background, I checked in the processes tab. I have the latest drivers for nvidia. I even was told by BFG that the 66.93 work the best with the agp cards, but I did not notice any difference.

Everyone tells me I need more ram but I still would think that my performance should be better. My 512mb ram stick is a noname, I bought it from a local pc store, so I donno if that may be the problem. But ya I am really confused. I checked my powersupply because the 6600 gt oc needs minimun 350w and on mine it says 400w max so that is not the problem.

My friend has almost same computer as me. He has same ram, except a 9800pro and amd processor which is the same speed as my p4. I know ati works better in counter-strike source but from what I have seen with benchmarks the 6600 gt out performs it. He can run battlefield 2 on high settings and get smooth gameplay while I run on low.

I have tried everything, but I will go buy some ram. If anyone has any ideas to help me I would appreciate it. By the way I have 512mb cache and 533 fps(640 now because it is over clocked) on my p4. I don't know if that would make that much of a difference.

Comment

You did reinstall windows after you changed motherboards? ...just checking....
          Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

yes of course....you have to.

Comment

Working...
            X