9700PRO or 6600GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9700PRO or 6600GT?

Time for me to upgrade my graphic card! That XFX FX 5200 is dying....

Well, I've been reading a lot of reviews about the two cards (in the title). What I've heard so far:

ATI 9700 PRO --
    - Better at lower resolutions then 6600
    - $50 cheaper
    - Good without overclocking
    (Planning on getting retail version)

6600GT --
    - Has the performance of the 6800 (400-500 $ card)
    - Runs GREAT on large resolutions
    - Best performance if overclocked
    - $200
    (Planning on getting the Leadtek version)

So here's the thing: I have a 17 inch monitor, so playing at resolutions at 1600x1200 isn't completly necessary, and besides I've been use to low resoluation gaming (usually always use 1024x756). I don't mind if playing at a low resolution, but at the same quality, means saving 50 dollars. And also, I don't really know much about overclocking, and don't want to go through all the risks and buying cooling syncs and so on. So it would seem like the 9700PRO would be a better buy... Except that, almost every review I've seen (even the ones with the 9700pro VS 6600Gt) the GT comes out on top. So I'm not sure which I should get. Maybe it's because the GT will have a longer value? Which is the better upgrade for 1. Me or 2. In general.

Re: 9700PRO or 6600GT?

I'd go with the 6600GT without thinking twice
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

For what reasons though?

Comment

Originally posted by Bloah
        For what reasons though?
        It is much quicker...
        Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
        Managing Director
        Tweak Town Pty Ltd

Comment

Easy !!! go with the newer style one .......

Comment

[QUOTE=Bloah]
            ATI 9700 PRO --
            - Better at lower resolutions then 6600
            [quote]
            Nope.
            $50 cheaper
            (Planning on getting retail version)
            Shouldn't be, if it's new. Where are you looking at prices?
            6600GT --
            - Has the performance of the 6800 (400-500 $ card)
            IF that were true, people wouldn't buy anything higher than 6600GTs. It can tie the regular 6800, which is a $270 U.S. card, in a select few situations. For the most part, it's noticably worse, and it's no where near a GT or Ultra ($400-$500 U.S.)

I'm not sure if you mean 9800 Pro, but the 9700 Pro just doesn't come close in any aspect. The 9800 Pro does, but it's too expensive these days so the 6600GT is still a better buy. As far as overclocking goes, though, both 9700 Pros and 9800 Pro should overclock extermely well in most cases, and you don't need additional cooling with any card; it just helps you get a higher overclock. There's also very low risk as you'll know when you've overclocked too far. Whichever card you get (Which should be the 6600GT), you should consider overclocking.

Comment

My 9200 does just fine with low resolution. ;)

Comment

O.k. this looks like an older thread the guy above me started up again but anyway just incase you haven't bought your new video card yet, keep in mind that most if not all 6600GT cards are PCI Express and not AGP. It might not fit into your systems video card slot on the mainboard.

Comment

wow -- it's been a while since I have been here. WHEW!!

I would say go with the 6600GT. I did a LOT of research on this, because I was looking to upgrade my 9700Pro to a faster card... and I wanted the best bang for my buck... the 6600GT was a good leap faster, but not twice as fast (somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4's faster) for gaming (doom3 / HL2, etc). The X700 series cards are about the level of a 6600GT I think.. (I ended up with a 6800GT which is over twice as fast in 3Dmark03 (12k) than my 9700 pro was (5k))

At any rate, for $200 (+/- $20 or so) I would say the 6600GT is a great gamers card. I think it's sitting at one of the most optimal parts of the price/performace curve these days.

NOTE: the power demands for this card are considerably high than those of a 9700/9800 card... a friend of mine had to go out and replace his 350watt PSU with a 500watt one to get his going. this might not be the case for you, but it's one more thing to consider.

Comment

my 6800's on a 350W psu

Comment

Working...
                    X