Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Video Card

Re: What Video Card

Looks like you've got a very modern system, so since you don't seem to have an issue with the price, I'd say the 6800GT will allow you to keep your current system for a while longer. Depending on how long you plan to keep your system and if you play with AA/AF, choose accordingly. Definately go with the GT if you like AA/AF, otherwise, the NU is fine. Also consider that many GTs are easily overclockable to Ultra speeds, maybe even further, if you choose that route.

Comment

I'd get the GT. Even though you can't up the resolution, there's still a such thing as anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering, which can bring even a 6800GT to its knees at the highest levels.

Comment

And if your money toght, try the 6600GT. They basically nearly have the same performance of the ATi X800Pro but the X800 wins by pipelines of course.

Comment

The X800 also beats it in memory interface, but it's irrelevant. An X800 Pro costs about twice as much as a 6600GT and outperforms it in almost any game (probably not Doom 3, but I can't remember). They don't perform similarly at all, but I wouldn't get an X800 Pro, ever.

Comment

just to end this thread bought a 6800gt sparkle platinum pretty pleased with it.

Comment

Is your other video card for sale. I am looking for a used midrange video card for around $50 shipped.

Comment

Sorry mate has been moved to other system, have a nice Geforce Mx420 for sale though LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                  They don't perform similarly at all, but I wouldn't get an X800 Pro, ever.
                  I've always preferred Radeon over nVidia products but it seems a lot of the hardcore gamers prefer nVidia. I've been debating between an X850 XT or 6800 GT for my new dream machine. From the bench tests I've seen, it seems the X850 XT is the winner, but I don't have that much experience with nVidia. Should I give the 6800 a chance?

Comment

The X850XT is the fastest graphics card on the market right now, but now that nVidia has SLI, dual 6800Ultras (or GTs) will blow it away. You have to take price into the equation...

Comment

Depends on the game. I'd expect the 6800 Ultra/Ultra Extreme to be superior in future games, but the X850XT/XT PE is better in most modern games, with the exception of Doom 3. Honestly, I'd recommend going with the 6800GT/Ultra/Ultra Extreme because of Pixel Shader 3 and the likelyhood that games come out based on the D3 engine. The Half-Life 2 engine is great, but it can't really take full advantage of a 6800 Ultra or an x850XT, and in most cases the greater number of frames per second achieved by the X850XT would exeed a monitor's refresh rate at that resolution or be unoticable to the human eye (actually, both in 95% of cases).

Comment

Originally posted by Blinkme323
                        Is your other video card for sale. I am looking for a used midrange video card for around $50 shipped.
                        athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                        tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                        asus a7n8xe-dlx
                        thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                        bfg 6800gt
                        seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                        samsung dvdrw
                        2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                        logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                        2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                        creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                        mushkin 550w