Need your opinion...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your opinion...

First off I'm just starting with overclocking... Here's what I need. All my PC has is PCI slots, I'm running a overclocked GeForce FX 5500 128mb. It runs most of the new games pretty good, depends on the game too. If I got a ATI Radeon 9250 256mb & overclocked it, would I see any difference? If so, where can I download a program to overclock it? Thankx for any help.

Re: Need your opinion...

No, you wouldnt see much difference. What are your specs, and was the machine prebuilt? If yes, where or who did you buy it from?

Comment

Originally posted by sr4470
      No, you wouldnt see much difference. What are your specs, and was the machine prebuilt? If yes, where or who did you buy it from?
      Doesn't matter. He has no AGP slot, so his upgrading options are pretty much nothing short of motherboard replacement.

Comment

Ok. I have a Dell Dimension 3000, Intel 2.8 mhz w/1mb cache, 512 DDR SDRAM @400mhz, 80gb 7200 rpm Ultra ATA Hard Drive, 4 PCI slots, GeForce FX 5500 128mb DDR. I know this isn't great at all, but it was cheap. And, I'm not upgrading the motherboard right now. So how about a "Apollo Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE 128mb DDR PCI" for $89.00? Any better? Thankx...

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir762
          So how about a "Apollo Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE 128mb DDR PCI" for $89.00? Any better? Thankx...
          Nope. That would be a terrible waste of money. There simply is no option for you with this motherboard that isn't going to cost a lot and provide little. Give up and wait until you're ready to upgrade the motherboard.

Comment

Intel makes a fair profit from these cheap "GV" chipsets...whats interesting is VIA have created the K8M800 with integrated graphics (otherwise identical to K8T800, including AGP 8x, gigabit ethernet etc), for socket 754...

Comment

And that motherboard would be compatible for my computer? If so, where can I get this? What chip set does it have? Or would I have to get another case & rebuild the whole thing? Thankx for you help!

Comment

sr4470 please reply!

Comment

Any socket 478 motherboard with Prescott support should work, but you'll need a new PSU as well as Dell PSUs don't work with regular motherboards. A decent PSU should be about $40 U.S. and the motherboard will be a bit over $100. A worthwile video card upgrade would be at least $150 though $200-$220 would be the sweet spot for you.

A couple examples of good motherboards would be the Asus P4P800-SE or the P4P800-E Deluxe. Any Intel 865 or 875 chipset motherboard should be enough, though.

A good PSU would be a 420 Thermaltake, though anything 350W or greater from a good brand (e.g. Antec, Enermax, Thermaltake) should do.

You should also note that you'll have to reinstall Windows if you get a new motherboard. That should be doable, assuming Dell provided you with an XP CD.

Comment

Originally posted by vladimir762
                    Ok. I have a Dell Dimension 3000, Intel 2.8 mhz w/1mb cache, 512 DDR SDRAM @400mhz, 80gb 7200 rpm Ultra ATA Hard Drive, 4 PCI slots, GeForce FX 5500 128mb DDR. I know this isn't great at all, but it was cheap. And, I'm not upgrading the motherboard right now. So how about a "Apollo Nvidia GeForce FX 5700LE 128mb DDR PCI" for $89.00? Any better? Thankx...
                    I thought all Dell computers with a Prescott CPU had PCI-Express?

Comment

Not from what ive seen, or they'd be even more expensive than they are now. Here in the UK at least, Dell charges a fortune for anything thats half decent.

Comment

Wow. Sounds like I'd never buy from them in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by joedemagio
                          Wow. Sounds like I'd never buy from them in the UK.
                          You'd ever buy from them at all?*

*Let's just pretend there's no such thing as laptops...

Originally posted by joedemagio
                          Not at all... Before LGA775 had any market penetration the socket 478 Prescotts were replacing Northwoods for high-end OEM PCs, and until recently there were no LGA775 Celeron Ds. Celeron Ds are and were the CPU of choice for Dell and Gateway budget PCs, and will continue to be until either LGA775 drops in price or Intel stops production of socket 478 chipset and motherboards entirely. All Celeron Ds are Prescott, so most Dells with Prescott aren't LGA775 and therfore have no PCI-E.

Comment

Comment

That's what Dell will get you in the U.K.?
                              Dell

Comment

Working...
                              X