• Show
Clear All

• SIMS 2 Shuts down my computer

I have a Compaq Presario 1500 (laptop)
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
    Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHZ
    2.39GHz, 512 MB of RAM
    Mobility Radeon 7500 with the lastest driver update

I have run Spyware Doctor and Ad-Aware SE and cleared my computer of any spyware they detected. I also tried the Maxis suggestion of closing almost all programs and processes and disconnecting from the internet and closing all firewall programs. I also tried Maxis' procedure of adding a program command that turned off the sound and made the SIMS2 window small to see if it would still crash my computer and it did.

I have no idea what else to do. I run my laptop plugged in if that is at all useful information. Any suggestions to get this program to work would be greatly appreciated.

Re: SIMS 2 Shuts down my computer

Has it always shut down using this game or is this something that just started happening out of the blue, or after you change a setting or installed software\ hack? This would be usefull information.

Since Maxis tried pointing you in the direction of sound being a possible cuase, I suggest you go to the START button, select RUN, type in dxdiag, hit enter, then in the DirectX Diagnostic Tool box, select the sound tab, turn the HARWARE SOUND ACCELERATION LEVEL all the way down to no acceleration and accept the changes. See if that solves the problem, and don't worry you will still have sound.

On some systems, I've found this to be a cuase of system restarts with certain video games when Wix XP service pack #2 is installed.

Comment

I did not have this problem with the original sims. When i loaded SIMS 2 onto my laptop the problem began.

The Maxis suggestion was a general forum suggestion to test whether the video driver needed to be updated. If it still crashed, which it did, Maxis said it had to be the system requirements which isn't the problem.

I will try your suggestion though. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by secretlildevil
        I did not have this problem with the original sims. When i loaded SIMS 2 onto my laptop the problem began.

The Maxis suggestion was a general forum suggestion to test whether the video driver needed to be updated. If it still crashed, which it did, Maxis said it had to be the system requirements which isn't the problem.

I will try your suggestion though. Thanks

You'd think Maxis would know what system requirements are needed for their own games. After reveiwing the system requirements for the Sims 2 it looks like your laptop just barely makes the grade but according to the Sims 2 specs you should be able to play the game, it'll probably be laggy with that video card but should atleast work on a lower graphics setting.
        Differences in system specs for the Sims versus the Sims 2 are fairly large since the Sims is about 5 years old or so......a 2.4 GHz CPU was unheard of back then but that catagory of video card was probably just coming to surface.

Comment

The video card is supposed to be supported, but a Radeon 7500 is a DirectX 7 card that should barely play the game, if at all.

What drivers are you using? If you're using the latest, the 4.12 Catalysts from www.ati.com should be the drivers in question.

You should check the event viewer to see what errors, if any, it throws up after you attempt to play Sims 2. You can access it via Control Panel\Administrative Tools or by going to Start > Run > eventvwr.msc

Also, try CWShredder and HijackThis (in my sig). Post the HijackThis log, too.

Comment

If you have ever downloaded any lots or anything from the maxis site, then uninstall/reinstall sims2, and DONT use anything from any sims website. there is a known bug that some guys made and embeded it into custom lots and things on the website.

Comment

"What drivers are you using? If you're using the latest, the 4.12 Catalysts from www.ati.com should be the drivers in question. "

>ATI doesn't have drivers for laptops, you have to download them from the manufacturer of the laptop. I did download the lastest driver updates on the Compaq website for my laptop.

"If you have ever downloaded any lots or anything from the maxis site, then uninstall/reinstall sims2, and DONT use anything from any sims website. there is a known bug that some guys made and embeded it into custom lots and things on the website."

>I haven't downloaded anything from Maxis for SIMS 2 except for their program patch. I have heard about the bugs in the other objects.

Comment

EA has just informed me that SIMS 2 does not work on laptops. I have followed every step they have suggested to no avail.

False Advertsing!@#$%^&^%$#@!@#$

What crap!

Comment

The game works on my similarly speced HP laptop but is very slow becuase of my ATI I3xx Radeon onboard graphics (its worse than your video card), but the game actually does start up and you can play it if you don't mind a delay everytime you do anything. Maybe if you mount the miniimage no CD\DVD fix for the game you might get it to work since most laptop CD\DVD drives really bite. I can't think of anything else I'd be doing different than you other than that.
                  One other thing you might try is updating all your drivers, bios and firmware for your laptop.
                  Last edited by Spongebob; 01-13-2005, 08:39 PM.

Comment

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

So... to be able to play SIMS2 for hours you have to control the CPU temperature...

Solution 1: Buy a Targus Notebook Chill Mat (or similar)
                    http://www.targus.com/us/product_details.asp?sku=PA248U

Solution 2: Open the two compartements in the bottom of the notebook (the two that has a + (philips?) screw) there are the MiniPCI comunications comparment and the Memory expansion compartment. To let more air enter inside the notebook.

Solution 3 : Use the notebook near a big Fan or in a room with air aconditioning.

Solution 4 : Buy a can of compressed air and use it in the vents of the notebook to throw away all the dust. I did it but in my case one of the fans blocked, and I had to download the presario manual and open the keyboard and unlock the fan... so it can be risky!

Nowadays I play Sims 2 with a home made Notebook Chill Mat using two fans under notebook (the case fan that you can find inside a desktop PC).
                    Without problems...

I'm trying to make the Pets extension and Nightlife work... (because these extensions requiered better video cards)

Please let me know if you have some doubts... English is not my first language.

It's a lie that Sims 2 cannot be played in a notebook!!! I don't know why they said that!!!

Aparatey

Comment

Working...
                    X