Underperforming System??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underperforming System??

I have recently bought a new PC. I finally updated from my 733Mhz to 3,2GHz expecting it to blow me away, however it did not perform as good as i want it to. When i play games such as Doom 3 in max details at ca 1000 x 800 resolution i get between 8 and 20 fps on average. this is good enough to play it (just about), but hardly what i expected from my new system. so i ran 3D Mark 2005 and got a total of 270points, its rediculous!! this is waaaay to low. so i scanned my system over and over running different benchmarks etc. and whn i compare it to similar systems it always scoreslower that it should. i have also updated my drivers etc without any change. what can i posssibly do to get this right?? i defragment regularily etc....

Help would really be appreciated

My System:
    P4 prescott 3,2GHz
    2 x 512Mb DDR SDRam
    2 x 160GB SAMSUNG SP1604N
    GeForce FX 5200 [NV34.3] 256MB
    MS-7008 (MSI Mainboard)

Re: Underperforming System??

How do expect to play doom 3 on high quality with a 5200?

Comment

lol

Comment

sorry, but, you choice of graphics card wasn't that good, if you want a mid ranged priced graphics card that runs well on games, then you will want to go with teh ATI Radeon 9800 pro or if you want to go with something more expensive but alot better than the ati radeon 9800 pro then http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...130-203&depa=0 <-- that would be a very good choice for it. Still, the ati radeon would do the job nicly as well.

Comment

Replacing the video card is what you need to do... Exactly how much are you willing to spend on this?

Comment

^^^

thats your problem. I have a link to a 9800 for 133 dollars. I suggest you watch how powerful your system will be with a real graphics card!

http://bestbargainpc.com/saatira98vic.html

Comment

A 128-bit 9800 Pro, unless the listed specs are lying for some reason... I wouldn't get that, personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                A 128-bit 9800 Pro, unless the listed specs are lying for some reason... I wouldn't get that, personally.
                It's what i got. And it tripled my score on 3d mark 03 and went from 420 something on 05 to 2000+ so i think on his system (it is pretty similar) it would work great. if he had more money a 6600 AGP would be great... but there would be some clogging on even that card probably... but a 9800-9800 Pro i would reccomend!

Comment

The listed specs must be wrong then, if you mean you got that exact card from that exact link, because there's no way you'd get over 2000 in 05 with a 128-bit 9800 Pro.

Comment

This score doesn't lie. It's a 128 meg 9800 regular. Here's my score

Comment

The score doesn't lie, but that site sold you more than what it was supposed to, if the specs listed are right. Obviously it is 256-bit, though.

Comment

Where can i check to see if it is 256 bit and does the 256 bit make a big difference?

Comment

Originally posted by clockworkmep
                          Where can i check to see if it is 256 bit and does the 256 bit make a big difference?
                          in this cards case, I hear the perforamce difference can be HUGE.

Comment

I think it will actually say in the 3DMark log thing that says all your specs. I wouldn't worry about it, though, as it most certainly is a 256-bit card. A 128-bit card would have to have much higher core and memory speeds, among other things, to have the same performance.

Comment

Indeed. Im happy with my score. It doesn't bottleneck my CPU or anything. My system is great!

Comment

Working...
                              X