Graphical problem (9600xt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphical problem (9600xt)

I searched around the forums and found a thread on the 9600xt; but the guys problem was underclocked card. I got a reading from rivatuner and mine is running at normal speeds.

Heres the problem;

My system is a 2.6Ghz P4 w/ HT proc. running on a asus p4p800 vm mobo
    - 768 mb of ram
    - samsung 120GB 7200 rpm HD
    - 400W PSU
    - and finally the 9600xt from diamond stealth

But my 3dmark03 score is 1827 with no background ops except fraps and a few others that take almost noresources. I run it on the default settings.

Furthermore, my friend has a 9600 pro from sapphire, 256 ram, AMD 2100+ OCed by a bit, twin 80GB HDs @ 7200 rpm (frogot the make). In NFSU2 (we use to benchmark.. somewhat) with 1024x768 res, all settings maxed except road reflection (half), he can get a constant fps over 30. But with my supposevely better comp, I can hardly crack 20 on this setting and am usually 15-20.

I have 25+ GB free space.

What could possibly be the problem? I've been at it for awhile, but with my limited computer knowledge I can't find the source of this problem.

I don't plan on keeping this card long as I plan on getting the 6600gt AGP as soon as I can get it offline. But this problem occured with my old fx5200 which also ran severly lower then at what it was suppose to. =/ So I assume that the problem is with my computer.

My agp slot is 8x by the way.

Anyone know what could be wrong with my puter?

Re: Graphical problem (9600xt)

The thing that grabs me straight off is that you're using 768MB of memory in a dual channel mainboard which can't be doing you any good (you need matched pairs). Also what speed rating is the memory?

Comment

I have 2x 256 and 2x 128. The 256S are samsung, and I think it is fast memory, came with my computer (didn't build this system). I think it is above DDR333 but I am not completely sure. The 128 is crap from Kbyte, ddr133 I think (it was free); could this be doing more harm then good?

Comment

Yes, take the 128MB sticks out. They are reducing the speed of the rest of your RAM significantly on a platform that is bandwidth-starved to start with.

Comment

Gee its been a very long time since I've seen 128MB DDR modules but yes unless you have PC3200 in there then the CPU is being strangled for bandwidth which will impact on performance (2 x 512MB PC3200 should be ideal).

Comment

I took them out and ran 3d mark again. But my score increase by a measely 9 points. Ive double checked the memory and its DDR266 for the 128s.

So it looks like they didnt effect the performance or hinder it. =/

NFSU2 is also running at the same frame rates.

I'll check the ram that came with my compy and post it here to see if the original could be involved somehow.

edit: My original ram is ddr333, 2x 256.

Argh, what could be the problem.. I dont understand why its running so poorly. :(
            Last edited by fr86; 11-23-2004, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Improper Video or system drivers could be to blame, you might want to double check your drivers.

Comment

Yes yes.. all the latest drivers from ati. These ones

My 256 sticks are ddr333.

Any other ideas?

Comment

What about your motherboard bios, do you have the latest drivers for it? Also try setting your bios to failsafe defaults or optomized defaults and see if it makes any diffrence then try max proformance or somthing similar in your bios, the diffrent manufacturers use diffrent terms.

Comment

Originally posted by fr86
                    edit: My original ram is ddr333, 2x 256.

Argh, what could be the problem.. I dont understand why its running so poorly. :(
                    Well your CPU runs a quad pumped 200MHz FSB (800MHz effective) while your memory only runs at 2x 166MHz (2x 333DDR effective = 667MHz) so I'm sure that you should see where the problem is at.

Comment

Slow memmory eh? What would u guys reccomend? Theres some kingston ram for sale at best buy, I hear thats pretty good.

But ddr333 isnt that bad, atleast i shouldent be getting less then half of what I think I would.

By bios, I didnt change anything there, i poked around it to see what I could do (and that wasnt much >_<) but didnt change anything. I'll try to get the latest drivers for that.

edit: my friends ram runs at only 266Mhz, and he only has 256 total, with AMD 2100+ proc, So i don't think my samsungs 256s could be hindering performance more then a very little bit. Like I said my friends slightly lesser card runs alot better on his worse system, what else could be a possible problem?
                      Last edited by fr86; 11-23-2004, 11:18 AM.

Comment

you sure the intergrated graphics has been turned off and isnt interfering with the 9600XT?

Edit: Also, have a look at the catalyst install guide and do a clean install of the drivers
                        Last edited by sr4470; 11-23-2004, 12:36 PM.

Comment

The mobo turns of the integrated card automatically when the AGP card installed (if the AGP card is in and I plug the cable into the integrated slot it doesnt even show a picture).

I will look at the catalyst guide when i get home, any other ideas?

Comment

Last edited by sr4470; 11-23-2004, 02:55 PM.

Comment

ya i have direct x 9c.

I will back up all my files and do ao complete system reboot on the weekend, get all the latest drivers for the whole system and then.. it better work. >_<"

Comment

Working...
                              X