Best Video Card for my system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Video Card for my system

My video card and my RAM are the last steps in getting the highest parts my mobo will support. Since I don't OC any parts on my system, I will probably just purchase some Corsair PC3200 RAM. That leaves my video card as the last thing to replace. Here's what's currently in my system:

Mobo: Asus A78NX Deluxe
    CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    Hard Drives: 160 gig (2 X 80) Seagate SATA

I believe I have a 350W PSU but I can't find anything online to be sure. This motherboard has AGP 8X and I was looking at getting the best card that my system will use for that interface. Any suggestions? Is there anything I can replace besides starting from scratch that will allow this system to support a slightly better video card on AGP 8X?

My budget isn't too much of a consideration at this point. As always, any help is appreciated.

Re: Best Video Card for my system

I am currently looking at a X800XT and 6800GT witch are available in AGP 8X and
    PCI-E, these are about 800 - 1200 dollars in Canada.

Comment

hmm if money isn't a consideration I'd get the Nvidia 6800 Ultra for your system. It runs around 400-550 i believe... or you could get the X800 for it as well. Both are AGP 8X... Depends on what you want. Personally i think Nvidia performs better in games and ATI performs better on things like Aqua Mark and 3d Mark 05...take your pick... remember that's just my opinion...

Comment

The ATI X800 series actually performs better in games that are less texture-intensive as that takes away a lot of nVidia's advantage. They also tend to do better in D3D, although the 6800s can even beat them there, in some cases.

You can take any AGP video card, but I wouldn't bother with anything higher than a GeForce 6800, because you'd be too CPU-limited to gain much advantage from an X800Pro or XT or a 6800GT or Ultra. It costs $270-$300 in the U.S., while any decent GT will go for at least $400 and Ultras are closer to $500.

Also, replacing that PSU is probably going to be necessary. Maybe if it's an Antec 350W (look on the side of the PSU for goodness sake... you don't need to go online to see where it says "Max about xxxWatt" on your PSU) and you aren't overclocking it will handle an X800 Pro (but not a GeForce 6800; they require significantly more power), but for any 6800 you'd want at least 420W from a good brand, such as Thermaltake or Antec.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Actually Yawgm0th, I was writing that e-mail from work. I didn't have the box in front of me or any sort of receipt. I was trying to find some information online but I lost the account name and PW from the company I ordered my case and PSU from.

I popped the side off of my case and the PSU is an Enermax EG365P-VE. Looks like I'm in the market for a new PSU. Also, Newegg only has a few 6800s in stock and none of them are from companies I recognize. The ones still in stock are from Albatron, PNY, MSI, Gigabyte, and BFG. Do any of these companies put out decent cards?

Comment

Originally posted by Arcainyx
            Actually Yawgm0th, I was writing that e-mail from work. I didn't have the box in front of me or any sort of receipt. I was trying to find some information online but I lost the account name and PW from the company I ordered my case and PSU from.

I popped the side off of my case and the PSU is an Enermax EG365P-VE. Looks like I'm in the market for a new PSU. Also, Newegg only has a few 6800s in stock and none of them are from companies I recognize. The ones still in stock are from Albatron, PNY, MSI, Gigabyte, and BFG. Do any of these companies put out decent cards?
            Yeah, you'd probably want to replace the PSU.

I'd say go with the BFG or Gigabyte if you aren't willing to wait for others to come on stock. The eVGA and Leadtek seem to be just as good (arguably better in some ways) and are cheaper, but they aren't in stock ATM.

Comment

You can find some nice deal on Ebay ...i got my 6800GT for 340 shipped...if not stick with the regular. You can check for ThermalTakes' PSU on newegg.com...its 39.99 and 420W. Right now its running my A64 system with a 6800GT...best part of it...it was 39.99.
              - Damien

Comment

Good to know the PSU holds up as well as I figured it would. Have you tried overclocking with it at all?

Comment

Working...
                X