A Video Card for Me ol' PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Video Card for Me ol' PC

I want the best video card for the PC in my sig that the CPU(s) wont be a bottleneck. IE: I dont want a 6800U because it would be overkill, the CPU(s) would never be able to use its power. I want something that will work well for what I have got. Suggestions?

Re: A Video Card for Me ol' PC

What mainboard does it use?

Comment

No kidding. Does it only support AGP 2x like the what you have in your signature now, or can it support 4x or 8x? In any case, I can't see you getting anything over a 9800 Pro, and something in the 9550 to 9600 Pro range would probably be more sensible financially, depending on the game.

What I'm wondering is why you're trying to turn a server into a low-end gaming machine. Dual CPUs do very little in applications that can't make use of them (most games), so I'd try to find a better use for it, personally. But I guess if you don't need a server or workstation of any sort and don't want to sell it, it would make some sense to use it for gaming...

Comment

If it IS AGPx2 - Your screwed, plain and simple. If not, I'd suggest maybe a Powercolor 9600 - The asus model is supposedly more powerful, but I doubt you'd need it. The powercolor can be picked up for around $250 Aus.

Comment

AGP speed dosen't really matter, even an 8x card barely goes above 2x speeds. And the motherboard is a 440GX AGP made by Tyan.

And in response to Yawgm0th: I got the computer for free, it was an unused server rotting in a closet. Since I am not allowed to my Pentium 4 computer to LAN parties (by order of my parents, who paid for it), I use this one. I find that I can still play new games with it at medium settings, however it lags when there is multiple characters in battle onscreen (or any other very intense scene in a game) and since the current graphics card only has a passive heatsink for cooling, after hours of gaming (even with the fans I've got) it becomes incapable of doing anything graphic intensive. Hence the need for a better card.
          Last edited by joedemagio; 11-05-2004, 05:48 PM.

Comment

AGP speed does matter because the card might not run on the motherboard at all. There is performance loss below 4x, but compatibility is the issue. If you want, try a 9550 or 9600. You can get decent ones for extremely cheap ($60 or so), and Newegg should let you return it if it doesn't work. That's the minimum I would go with for any gaming system and probably the maximum I'd go for this system.

Comment

I agree, with a 2x AGP slot, u cannot install the new age video cards, u can change the mother board for an increase in AGP X's.And with a weird specification like urs, itll be kinda unstable, and u wont be able to play the latest games in decent performance rates.

Comment

@ Laughing Man: Ummm, seems like you don't know what ur talking about. I cant upgrade the motherboard because there really aren't any other motherboards that can hold the proccessors that I have, and their AGP speed wouldn't be higher because they don't make new motherboards for old proccessors. And if there was a motherboard that was better and I upgraded to it, it wouldn't be unstable unless I tried to overclock it without rasing the voltage, and Xeons are overclock-proof. And also, I can play new games with decent performance as it is now, so if I upgraded I wouldn't have worse perfomance would I?
                Last edited by joedemagio; 11-06-2004, 12:29 PM.

Comment

I don't see how you would get worse performance if you upgraded.

Comment

Originally posted by joedemagio
                    @ Laughing Man: Ummm, seems like you don't know what ur talking about. I cant upgrade the motherboard because there really aren't any other motherboards that can hold the proccessors that I have, and their AGP speed wouldn't be higher because they don't make new motherboards for old proccessors. And if there was a motherboard that was better and I upgraded to it, it wouldn't be unstable unless I tried to overclock it without rasing the voltage, and Xeons are overclock-proof. And also, I can play new games with decent performance as it is now, so if I upgraded I wouldn't have worse perfomance would I?
                    Why only ATI cards? he could get substantial improvement if he bought a 4x/8x agp Nvidia card like the 5200... i wouldn't suggest the 5200 since i does kinda suck... but a 5500 or above would hardly be overkill...

Comment

Originally posted by clockworkmep
                      Why only ATI cards? he could get substantial improvement if he bought a 4x/8x agp Nvidia card like the 5200... i wouldn't suggest the 5200 since i does kinda suck... but a 5500 or above would hardly be overkill...
                      He can't use 4x/8x AGP cards as these are regarded as 1.5v cards and his mainboard is an older 2x AGP one and these cards run on 3.3v.

Comment

Maybe I do have faster than 2x then, cuz I tryed a 4x card in my machine for a little while (testing it out, actually my friend's gfx card) and it worked fine.

Comment

Yes a 2x/4x card should work but most 4x/8x just won't unless they state that they have 2x support otherwise they'd fry on 3.3v.

Comment

Working...
                          X