Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGP Recommendations $100-$150 (AUS)

Hey all,
    Just a couple of questions in regard to a planned upgrade. Currently I have a POS GF2MX400 and am in search of a card for about 100-150 Aussie Dollars. I've done a bit of research and have found a few cards drawn to my attention the likes being Radeon 9550, Radeon 9550 Extreme and a few from the 9600 series. I'm steering clear of nVidia for that end of the market as they seem to get blasted by ATI.

My current frame of mind is : Get the 9550 for <$100 as it will be 100% better than my current card and have no regrets, spend the rest of the money on something else.
    But looking at some reviews the 9550 Extreme seems to be pretty sweet aswell. it has a clockspeed of 400/500 up from the 9550 clock speed of 250/400. It has got a few FPS on the stock 9600 in some benches.
    But it costs an extra $50. Are the internals the same on these cards, would I be able to get the same figures from a stock 9550 with an aftermarket cooler?

Just chucking ideas around so feel free to throw some my way =)

Re: AGP Recommendations $100-$150 (AUS)

Haven't read much about the 9550, but looking at the specs on the card, it's clearly worse than a 9600, but doesn't cost much less. I can't say anything about the 9550 Extreme, though. In any case, they all support Direct X 9.0 adn have similar speeds, so I don't think you'll be too dissapointed with whatever you choose.

On the other hand, it would be worth it to get some more money for something from the Radeon 9700/9800 series. The 9800 Pro is probably the best bang-for-buck card in there, but any of them will be much better than a 9600 or 9550 because they are all 256-bit. The 9600 is basically the top of the low-end range of cards, so "upgrading" to one isn't really much of an upgrade.

Comment

Most of those R9550's that are less than $100aus will likely only have 64-bit memory access so stay clear of them and get one that has a full 128-bit memory access.

Comment

Hey Ya'll, I'm just be lookin' for a way to contact wayout44 for info on the InFocus SP 4800 tweeks. BG

Comment

Originally posted by BossGuy
          Hey Ya'll, I'm just be lookin' for a way to contact wayout44 for info on the InFocus SP 4800 tweeks. BG
          Sorry but I can't really help you on that subject.

Comment

Yawgm0th believe my I would absolutely love to go out and buy a 9800 Pro but I simply can't/won't. I don't have the cash, and even If I did I'd prefer to spend it elsewhere.

And Wayout44 I realise that some of them are 64-bit but the one I've found i believe(hope) that it is 128-bit. On some other forums I've read that they're getting some serious o/c figures outta the stock 128-bit like from 250/400 stock to 400/560. with no more than an extra fan or so
            I'll post the link to the site I would buy the 9550 off when I find it again

One more question, how well do nonpro 9600 overclock?

Comment

It can vary greatly on a card to card basis, but...

If I remember correctly, my Sapphire 9600 non-pro got somewhere around 400/560 in an OEM desktop with no case fans... But again, I might not remember that right.

But I wouldn't get too worked up over it. All the overclocking in the world isn't going to make a 9600 play any modern game well. It's okay if you're still into some of the older Quake-3 based games, I guess.

Comment

Just would like a confirmation on this card http://www.abit.com.tw/page/au/graph...PE=Radeon+9550

is it actually 128-bit or is it some shifty thing to try and make idiots like me think it is 128-bit? I think I'm pretty set on grabbing one of these now, though I am waiting on a few emails from a few retailers...

Cheers

Comment

It appears to be the same as this, which is 128-bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Yawgm0th
                    It appears to be the same as this, which is 128-bit.
                    Cheers for that mate, useful to know. I think thats the go then, or the 9550 Extreme... argh decisions on a **** budget! the extreme appears to cream the regular 9550 though :| but then if we factor in overclocking.... meh i dunno
                    check this out for reference...

Comment

If you can find the Extreme for a good price, it looks like a good option to me.

Comment

cheapest extreme is 162$ :( Some bloke On another forum (the one who overl****ed his 9550 to 400/560) got a higher mark in 3dmark2001se than the extreme at stock... so getting a 9550 and trying to O/C the **** outta it might be the way to go seeing that it would be 60 bucks cheaper. Even If I don't get to that level then meh i don't care, No regrets. I'll let you know how it goes, I'm going to order that Abit 9550 some time this week or maybe next week.

Cheers, thanks for all your help

Comment

Well this might help, u can purchase GeCube Radeon 9550 Extreme Edition for AU$159.50, if u live in sydney area

http://www.custo.com.au/products_det...ode=PD00001486

And this video card has really good review in this site too

http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...Id=649&dPage=1

Comment

Working...
                          X