Catalyst and Omega?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalyst and Omega?

What's the difference between the catalyst and omega drivers for radeons? Does one perform better for games and such?

Omega drivers are created by this dude (forget his name...) that actually has permission from ATI, so they are kinda sorta but not really quasi official drivers. Anyways, the omega drivers usually dont show any gains (in fact it might be less) when benchmarking, but game performance will be up. Especially if you use the built in OC tool.

Comment

well, I won't be overclocking at all so I should just stick with the catalyst then.

Comment

you might as well just use the catalyst drivers

Comment

Originally posted by Dallows
          well, I won't be overclocking at all so I should just stick with the catalyst then.
          smart move. the Omega drivers may work OK most of the time, but there is no guarantee. Even if you decided to OC later on, there are better ways to go about it than using the Omega drivers.

Anyway, just keep the Catalyst drivers, like you've already stated.

Comment

TO bad you have no proven facts on that. First of all, you will actually see a slight increase in performance as stated. Second, the Omega drivers are some of the best ways to OC your card. If you say rade3d tweak, I laugh in your face *points and laugh a rage3d user*

EDIT-
            As well, what do you mean "the omega drivers may work MOST of the time"?? I havent heard of anybody have complaints about them, cause they are such god damn good drivers.

Comment

wtf? who said anything about rage3d?

I take it you are fairly new at all this. Just look around, the Omega drivers are not flawless. With rampant immaturity like that, it's no wonder these forums are so vacant all the time.

Comment

Since you're apparently too stupid to figure out what should be obvious:
                Originally posted by Let_Me_Live
                Second, the Omega drivers are some of the best ways to OC your card.
                Originally posted by Dallows
                well, I won't be overclocking at all

Comment

ok first, foot in mouth, I was kinda um... yah know, blindly typing and not really paying attention. I was also looking at the rage3d site at the same time so sry. What I was thinking of were some other drivers that most of the users over at rage3d like.. for some strange reason. As well, no, im not knew to this, and second, 10101whatever still hasn't shown any proof that there are problems with the Omega drivers. Oh yea yaugmoth, I like the way you put the quotes in the wrong order to make myself seem stupid you ****. Oh well, what can you do huh??

Comment

Why do I need proof? Did I damage your fragile ego? I simply said the drivers weren't perfect. People have had problems with the drivers before, that's nothing new. Yes, many people have had great success with the Omega drivers, but quite a few have not. The Omega drivers are just repackaged catalyst drivers; made by one person, in his spare time, and only tested against his own hardware (which is only 2 PCs, one ATI and one nVidia). If you can't handle that the Omega drivers are not always perfect, then just ignore this and continue thinking whatever you want. I could care less.

Comment

ok ok ok, Im thinkin i took it to far, and Im sry. But what your stating is the same as saying "the normal Catalysts can have problems". Sure they can, but the Omega drivers are actually okd by ATI themselves, so I dont know, when the company kinda certifies the drivers, Im thinking their pretty damn good. Ok, but ill stop now K? Went to far, everybody has a valid point PEACE (it was fun while it lasted :P

Comment

Originally posted by Let_Me_Live
                        Oh yea yaugmoth, I like the way you put the quotes in the wrong order to make myself seem stupid you ****. Oh well, what can you do huh??
                        There in the right order, unless he edited his post.

Comment

When should I start thinking about OCing my video card? If everything I play so far works fine, I should just leave it with the Catylist, right? Now, if I was planning to install the Omega to OC the card, I follow the guide this guy wrote.

and install the Omega. Is there a guide for overclocking with the Omega?

Comment

1) Omega drivers do not need your old drivers to be uninstalled
                            2) go to www.omegadrivers.net for all of the info
                            3) If you are still having problems, you can e-mail the guy who makes the Omega drivers, he will respond to you in a day.

With that said, what are you doing with your comp? Some people like me oc our computers and gpu's in order to get respectable performance in games and such. Some, its just like racing, you gotta see whos the best. List the specs of your comp to see what is needed..

Comment

Well, so far, all my games run fine on the highest performance. There's no lagging of any sort. I run all my games on the highest performance possible. The only thing I want to go faster is when I make a DVD. When I do video editing and stuff, I want the computer to perform at a faster rate. I use Studio 9 and it's very unstable. There's a big chance it's because I have PC2700 rams that I discussed about in the OC forum. But when I get the Studio 9 to work and when I finish the whole movie, I need to get it to compile the whole thing and such. This takes about 30 minutes. I was just hoping it can go faster if I OC the video card too. BTW, the problems I have with Studio 9 is that when I add transitions (special effects between scenes to move one from another) it would just turn off. Another one is when I try to preview some clips, nothing would happen as if I didn't do anything. The last problem is the 30 min time for compiing which I already said.

Comment

Working...
                              X