continual rebooting of windowsxp with ati radeon 9800xt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• continual rebooting of windowsxp with ati radeon 9800xt

Don't know much about computers but having problem with continual rebooting of xp pro after complete overhaul of system. Computer goes to log in then to desktop where there is a different resolution set than I previously entered, and then it automatically reboots itself back through the entire process to the log in screen again. This is completely new system with no overclocking. Used updated version of xp pro to update windows 98se. Can someone help me to figure out what is happening?

Asus A7n8x deluxe socket a motherboard
    Powmax atx case with window, usb, led fans 400w p/s
    Amd athlon xp 3000+ cpu 333fsb barton
    corsair twinx dual channel 1024 mb pc3200 ddr 400 mh memory
    2 hd both western digital caviar 8 mb buffers 7200rpm one 160 gb other is 40gb.
    Ati radeon 9800xt video card

Download the latest version of the ATI catalysts. Look for them at www.ati.com.

Comment

I first thought of your power supply, but I have almost the same setup and a 400w does me fine.

Comment

it could be the power supply. what brand is it?

Comment

Ok I take it that you had 98SE fully installed working before updating with XP over the top? That will usually cause problems to start with (the upgrade version of XP can and should be installed clean).
          Also as you have a Powmax case I take it that the PSU is also of the Powmax brand of which I've found quality 350W PSU's to out perform.

Comment

yeah I have a sparkle 400w - which is one of the best. if it's a ****ty 400w - that's def the problem

Comment

Is antec 330W smartblue enough for a 9800PRO or XT?

Comment

Originally posted by shuaib
                Is antec 330W smartblue enough for a 9800PRO or XT?
                A lot will depend on the rest of your hardware but I wouldn't risk using that rating.

Comment

Working...
                X