Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PCI express technology pushed on us too soon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCI express technology pushed on us too soon?

If games right now are barley taking advantage of 4X AGP - future ones won't come close to the higher end 8X AGP - why is a 16X bridge necessary? I'm sick of games never taking advantage of current technology...and now that a few DX9 games are finally coming out people are taking about a whole new architecture!

happens all the time as not all manufactors are working the same speed....

look how long it took for memory to catch up....memory was behind for what 3-5 years!? now its running side by side....

hard drives are finally joining the game with speed increases....

now if only they could make a 100cfm fan that runs at 22db!!!!! :lol:

Comment

But what is the disadvantage of having more potential speed? If companies try to jack up the prices for this new architecture, consumers simply won't buy the product. It isn't as though your 8X AGP slot is harming your comp or the people developing software for it...

Comment

i see a problem when you could have current technology running at 100% of the next technology, thus elimating the need to upgrade hardware to support it....

Comment

Originally posted by JSN
          If games right now are barley taking advantage of 4X AGP - future ones won't come close to the higher end 8X AGP - why is a 16X bridge necessary? I'm sick of games never taking advantage of current technology...and now that a few DX9 games are finally coming out people are taking about a whole new architecture!
          I dont think that is true at all...i think what you mean is that games dont take advantage of 8x..but 4x, i believe they definitely do.
          CPU: Opteron 165 @ 311x9 - 2817.8 mhz - 1.47v
          Mobo: Abit KN8-SLI
          RAM: 2x512 Crucial Ballistic Tracers500 @ 202 mhz 2-2-2-5 T1
          GFX: Asus EAX1950pro @ 648/1408
          PSU: Thermaltake 500w
          SC: Audigy 2 zs
          LCD: 22' Samsung 225bw
          Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 5.1 Ultra
          Mouse: Logitech G5

Comment

Originally posted by AsianBatman
            Originally posted by JSN
            I dont think that is true at all...i think what you mean is that games dont take advantage of 8x..but 4x, i believe they definitely do.
            I said they barely do, which means a lot of them don't. My point is nothing has touched 8X (HL2 and D3 even might not) - so why the hell are you talking about 16X?

Comment

It is bound to happen soon anyway. With all of the new 64bit procs, and all of the new technology coming this year, will take advantage of the 16x. If we waited much longer, the AGP bus would be a bottleneck. Everyone has a $2000 system with all of the newest technology on it, but cant take advantage of their high end video card becasue the bus is too slow. I'm just saying... AGP is getting old compared to everything else, and needs updating...just like verything else has already.

Comment

The primary reason for PCI Express is power deliverable by the slot, and Heat dissipation. PCI Express is superior in every way, and not MUCH more expensive. Why resist technological change?

Comment

Working...
                X