Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V Sync

Hey.

Simple question, what are the effects of V-Sync, on both look and performance, and is it worth having on?

to the best of my linited knowledge with Vsinc on you get less pixelation around the edges (smoother edges) but it will slightly decrease performance, for example when playing Battlefield 1942 if I have Vsinc enabled the edges of the wings on the planes look nice and smooth/straight as apposed to having it off where they look a bit daggy. I also know that in benchmarking programs like 3Dmark2001/2003 you get a lot higher marks with it off. hope this helps!

i like to have it on cause it looks prettier!!! :lol:

Comment

vysnc is where the frame rate is limited to (usually)60hz to avoid the image from "tearing" where the top of the next frame is drawn before the current frame has finished drawing at the bottom of the screen

EDIT: Slartibartfast i think you may be thinking about Anti Aliasing (AA) which removes the jagged edjes from pixels by blurring them

Comment

I thought it was to do with frame rate limitation, but I wasn't sure. Thx Metallicat.

But is it worth having on? I get around 9,100 in 2001se, yet V-sync pulls that back to around 7,400. :cry:

You also said it limits it to 60hz. I use refreshforce to over-ride the windows default 60hz, but since I run everything at 1600x1200, it can only do about 75.

So would V-synce actually be worth having on in my case?

Comment

it might still be worth having on.
          the reason for it lowering your score is because it limits you to 60 frames per second ( not 60 hz as i said before) and your grahics card is capable of displaying more frames per second than 60 so is limited when v sync is on

Comment

Will it deminish the performance of my games at all? Or simply make sure it remains constant?

Comment

it shouldnt reduce the performance
              you will get a lower frame rate if the card is capable of displaying more but most games are smooth at anything over about 30 or 40 frames per second so you wouldnt notice a difference between the 60 fps and say 100 fps

Comment

Working...
              X