• Show
Clear All

How do I run the dx test?

Comment

go to Start -> Run -> "dxdiag"

btw, what OS are you using?

Comment

Thanks for the info.

I was running WinMe, but I upgraded to 2000 last night and also installed dx9 from a game. I don't think it's 9b, but the mobo disk has 9b. Should I install 9b?

Comment

I installed the Gigabyte monitor program. There is no mobo system fan. Temps were running around 100F, but couldn't get a reading when game crashes. The cpu fan was operating ok and temps were around 130F. Do I need a system fan?

Comment

I doubt there is anything wrong with the r9000pro. Make sure it's fan is working and oil it along with the rest of the fans. Whatever you do, don't stick that crappy fx5200 back in there. And throw that me in the garbage.
            Ok, if you want your machine to work properly, this is what you need to do...
            Download and save to cd, the latest via hyperion drivers and the latest ati catalist drivers and control panel.
            Make sure everything is clean. Make sure your psu can handle your new hardware(very important). Get 2 case fans of the apropreate size or bigger(bigger is better), one for the back one for the front(minimum). Remove all electronics from the case. Cut out the stamped fan grilles leaving no trace of metal shavings(very important). Get some arctic silver 5 or ceramique and properly apply to the cpu and gpu. Do not do upgrade installs over used operating systems. Reformat the hd in ntfs and install win2000 by itself(since you already have it and it is good). At the first desktop, install the via drivers following it's prompts(very important). Then head to windows update and complete (all) the updates including dx9b, don't do the ati update offered by win update. Once that is all done, install the ati drivers.
            If you follow this exactly, and have no other faulty hardware, then everything should work fine like it is suposed to.

What kind of psu is powering everything?

psu wattage calculator

via drivers page

arctic silver instructions
            athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
            tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
            asus a7n8xe-dlx
            thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
            bfg 6800gt
            seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
            samsung dvdrw
            2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
            logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
            2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
            creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
            mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
            DFI infinity nf4 ultra
            thermaltake tsunami dream -black
            seagate sataII 500gb
            evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
            samsung sata dvd-rw
            2x1024 ocz black
            logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
            ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

130F = 54C now if that temp is under full load then its not to bad but if that's an idle temp then that's most likely ya prob. Those retail HSF's that come packed with Athlons are only any good when used in cool or aircon rooms in cases that have a reasonable airflow. Give us the room temp and load temps of the PC with the side closed and then with the side off.
              Another thing is that when ya reinstalled MEss did ya load the missin' .vxd files? These files could also cause ya some headaches.

Comment

The cpu temp is 130F when the system is idle and the cover is off. I'll get a new fan and also pick up a fan for the board.

The system has been upgraded to Win2000 (probably should have gone with XP, but this is what I had available). I have not installed the sp4 yet, but will try that next after the fans.

I had a 250watt psu when I first did the upgrade, and now have a 400watt psu, but it didn't seem to have an effect on the problems.

Regarding the ATI card, I only saw a download for Catalyst. Should I also be looking for updates to the Control panel as well?

Thanks.

Comment

Like I said before, there is a procedure for things to work like they are suposed to. On ati's 2000 download page they specifically state that service pack 4 is needed before trying to install drivers for them to work properly or at all. They say this for one reason only and that is to keep people from bumbling around with gfx problems. The instalation tips, fixed in this driver notes and release notes should be read to avoid problems, thats why they are also there.
                  Download the 24.3mb package. And there is nothing wrong with win2000.
                  ati's win 2000 catalist 4.3 download page
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  bfg 6800gt
                  samsung dvdrw
                  mushkin 550w

DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

It looks like ATI's catalyst contains the display driver and control panel together, so I only need to install catalyst, right?

What would you recommend for removing a previous nVidia 5200 installation? I'm not sure it's been cleaned completely.

Also, the Gigabyte monitor allows adjustment of the 9000pro. Is there an optimum setting without OC?

Comment

Originally posted by drets
                      What would you recommend for removing a previous nVidia 5200 installation?
                      A clean reinstall of windows 2000 would do the trick.
                      asus a7n8xe-dlx
                      bfg 6800gt
                      samsung dvdrw
                      mushkin 550w

DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                      seagate sataII 500gb
                      samsung sata dvd-rw
                      2x1024 ocz black
                      ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

I installed the sp4 for Win2000, removed the fx5200 drivers, and installed the latest ATI catalyst (for the 9000Pro 128mb card). I didn't have a chance to try out the Generals game, but the system locked up on a kid's Lego game ('3d' type puzzle game) at various points (once as long as 10 min before locking up).

Should I look into getting a oem cpu fan/system fan?

Comment

A reformat and fresh install of Windows is a must when switching from Nvidia to Ati hardware.

Comment

If I understand correctly, I'll need to start from scratch by formatting (erasing everything) and doing a straight install of Win 2000?

Comment

Before you format maybe try driver cleaner http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ . The program is pretty much self explainitory and does come with helpfull information in its "readme" file. By the sounds of things it prolly can't hurt and may be far less painless than a reformat for you.
                              Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Comment

I tried some thermal paste on the cpu fan and when I started up, the temp dropped to 116F, but quickly rose again to 134F.

Plan to try the driver cleaner.

Comment

Working...
                                X