9800 XT lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9800 XT lag

I just upgraded to a 9800 XT, and when I pump games up (specifically Deus Ex 2) to 1600x1200 and all other options to the max I lag like crazy. I installed the patch to DE 2, and I get similar results from other games. Why does the best GPU in the market still not give you "top notch" performance?

PS. I'm new, Hi :cheers:

What is the rest of the hatdware details of ya PC? :?:

Comment

they're in my sig

I'm getting the p-160 soon, right now I have a case that overheats like hell.

also my powersource is 400w...is that enough for the 9800 XT?

Comment

Is it mainly Deus Ex 2, or are there other games that don't like it? I personally had issues with DE2, mainly because it was written so poorly... The game in general was a bit of a disappointment.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
          Is it mainly Deus Ex 2, or are there other games that don't like it? I personally had issues with DE2, mainly because it was written so poorly... The game in general was a bit of a disappointment.
          you can say that again, I didnt think it was possible for a game to sell out. DE 2 was obviously a console port....disapointing.

but like I said other games are lagging too. is that 400W PS enough for the 9800 XT? would there be any advantage to upgrading?

Comment

Deus Ex 2 was just poorly coded, there's nothing around that. As for your other games, are they new? That explains it. Running things at 1600x1200 is really not practical at all. Sure, the card is the best one out there (arguably), but if you think it can push full details, highest possible resolutions, etc. and maintain a silky-smooth framerate, then you're being a bit too optimistic.

Comment

It's also about getting the most outta ya hardware, tweaking and optimizing the system isn't exactly something all gamers do.
              Not to mention the tweaking of the actual game, installing patches and what not.

Many of the gamers own their computer solely for gaming, while we other have a much wider interest for what they are and what they can do.
              Therefore we fiddle with em' every now and then to get them to run faster and be more reliable etc etc..

But as stated Deus Ex 2 has some bad coding.

Comment

Originally posted by Beefy
                You mean that the game itslelf was supposed to open ended,but really wasen't?:shh:

Comment

JSN: I'm only using a 300W PSU at present and my 9800XT runs fine. Next I intend to upgrade my case, either a P160 or Super LanBoy, then a new PSU when I get my R420 "Snowboard" or NV40 "Avalanche".

Comment

Originally posted by weta
                    R420 "Snowboard" or NV40 "Avalanche".
                    Is that really what the dev names for those two cards are? That actually pretty funny. Think about it. A Snowboarder will be demolished by an Avalanche. :) Or am I alone on this one?

Comment

Yeah it's 160 vs. 210 million tran. Doesn't look to good for ATI. Man I can't wait... I really can't. :p

Comment

Originally posted by weta
                        JSN: I'm only using a 300W PSU at present and my 9800XT runs fine. Next I intend to upgrade my case, either a P160 or Super LanBoy, then a new PSU when I get my R420 "Snowboard" or NV40 "Avalanche".
                        if the 9800XT runs Half Life 2 at full detail on the highest resolution, why would you need something better?

Comment

Because there are more games coming out that just HL2. :rolleyes2 Knowing iD, Doom 3 won't be able to run with everything at max on current systems. The engine will be around for a while, so it'll play better on next-generation hardware.

Comment

Working...
                          X