Can I unhook fan on my GF4 Ti 4200?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I unhook fan on my GF4 Ti 4200?

The fan on my GeForce4 Ti 4200 in my home theater pc makes a lot of noise. I don't play games on this computer, only watch movies. Whats the worst that would happen if I unhooked the fan? Would the computer just freeze up if the video card got to hot?

DO NOT UNHOOK THE FAN! If you do your video card could get to hot, and permanent damage becomes possible! They put fans on those suckers for a reason!

Comment

unhooking the fan is a bad idea, pretty much what xboy said. However, you could replace the fan or the entire hsf with something better and quiter.

Comment

Another thing to try is take the fan off, make sure it's nice and clean and put a little bit of machine oil in the middle. Sometimes that helps to cut back on the noise and helps it run smoother.

Comment

Same card - do not run without fan - trust me.... Cleaning and the oil will make big difference to the noise..

Comment

Check out the Zalman heatpipes which often cools better than the stock solution on those Ti cards and also won't require a fan. :)

Comment

Working...
            X