So far so good!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So far so good!

Hi everyone, I'm making my first real hardcore foray into Video Card o/c ing...and with some previous advice from people on these forums i've been careful not to blow up my precious precious piece of hardware : party ha

Anyway here's a little history

I bought a card on ebay which said it was a 9800 non pro, but when i got it, and installed the sucker, I was suprised to see that it loaded and was recognized as a 9800 PRO card! Of course my high hopes got smashed when i checked the clock speeds to find them at (325/290) This was a hell of a lot below the PRO speeds as advertised by ATIs website so i figured it was logically a simple non pro card that had its bios flashed by the previous owner.

All good with me :p cus I only PAYED for an n/p, and the fact that the bios work was already done spared me some trouble.

I've got Rage3d Tweak and I know have this card overclocked to the following speeds

(400/340)

This is somewhat speedier than the stock 9800 PRO card, and I have seen neither head nor tail of any artifacts or visual anomolies (aside from some game specific ATI conflicts (yeah im looking at you Deus Ex 2 you pile of crap!))

Soo....Just to be on the safe side, and because I don't know much about applying memory heatsinks or whatever, I figured to do the easy thing first and get a second (rather large) fan which is stuck in such a position that it cools the 9800 directly (in addition to the stock fan or whatever it came with).

Now first of all I'd like to know a few things.

1. What are my limits going to be with this current cooling setup. And the limits of the 9800 n/p in general? Keep in mind that I have some pretty decent Samsung memory chips, so this baby seems to perform pretty well (not sure which type exactly though, how do i check the exact brand of samsung mem on my card?)

2. Can someone recommend a brand or type of memory heatsink which would allow me to push the mem speed up on the card even further?

3. What other sorts of viable cooling can i look at?

4. Any other helpful tips etc. Like Drivers, Tweaks, you name it! I'm still pretty new to this stuff so I'd appreciate any help you guys could offer me. I've already done the obvious things like making sure my side of my case is always off to allow heat to escape easier, as well as the fact that my comp is located in my cold as hell basement to begin with , so im sure that helps :) Anyway sock it to me!

Oh yeah, and in 3dmark 2003 im getting 5725 or some such.

Not bad imo...but that tasty 6000 figure looms on the horizon!! lol.

Additional System info

2.4 Ghz Intel P4 , 1Gb of DDR ram
    Latest DNA Drivers based on 3.10 Catties.

er. bump!

Comment

This is a bit off subject, but you were satisfied with buying from eBay?

I'm a noob too but the other guys should answer you question rather soon.
      :afro:

Comment

Sure was dude : peace2: E-bay can be either a really GOOD way to shop for computer components, or a really TERRIBLE way to do it..depends on the honesty of your seller. :p But I am pretty darn happy with this card, and I payed no more than 300 dollars (total including shipping and everything) Canadian for the 9800....It does everything it was advertised to do and more...plus it seems to have some good memory chips which are fairly heat resistant, considering the overclock i have already done

290 -> 340 mem
        325 -> 400 Core:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

Those are aren't exactly miniscule overl****s. (not the largest obviously) but considering I have seen no problems worth talking about yet...I am a pretty happy camper.

9800 n/p is an all around GREAT card, and yes ebay treated me right :thumb:

:blah:

Comment

Cool

I was just a bit hesitant of trying e-Bay. You sometimes can find such great deals. :afro:

Comment

The best deals you can fine on e-bay are sellers who got retail parts cheaply and are trying to clear them out. Example, I picked up 2 sticks of 256mb PC800, at the time going for $100 a piece, for $60 a piece, in their retail packages, nothing wrong. Great deal, however, if they screwed up or didnt work it'd be tough as hell to return them. Hence, hope for great working parts :thumb: . : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Working...
            X