GEforce FX5200 problem....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEforce FX5200 problem....

i recently bought a GEforce FX5200 for $99 and when i installed it i found out that i had a 4x board so i upgraded to a 8x board to run my GEforce

when i tried battlefield 1942 it was so lagggggy!!!! it would freeze nearly everytime i fired my gun ive tried everything like going to Nvidia.com and downloading the drivers and ive been into the the games video options and i put them on all low...

I don't understand!! help me.....

heres my specs...

:cry:

1st of all the FX5200 is a 4x compatable card so ya wasted money on a new mobo that ya didn't really need and 2nd the FX5200 is a POS as it's only a DX9 version of the GF4 MX line. : peace2:

Comment

and also...

You only have 256mb of ram, and a proc similar to mine. BF1942 is pretty damn laggy on my system with more than 16 people. So if you got a new board get a new proc and some more memory, 512 total should do it.

And the 5200 is a big heaping piece of shizat. BF1942 doesnt even use DX9, so you would of been better off grabbing a ti4200 for a cheap solution (may be a little biased.) Would of paid about the same price for a better card.

Thats about all I can think of. If you got money to spare go hit up newegg and/or tigerdirect and make it happen.

Comment

And, just in case, if you have a 56k connection, dont bother with any of this as BF1942 on 56k would be laggy on any system. Im guessing you have broadband though...I hope.

Comment

I have cable.... is there any other soulutions NOT involving money?
          :afro:

or do u reckon ive just wasted $250 on nothin.......:mad:

Comment

Originally posted by Fatguy3
            <font size="+3">You only have 256mb of ram</font>, <font size="-2">and a proc similar to mine. BF1942 is pretty damn laggy on my system with more than 16 people. So if you got a new board get a new proc and </font><font size="+3">some more memory, 512 total should do it.

And the 5200 is a big heaping piece of shizat</font>.<font size="-2"> BF1942 doesnt even use DX9, so you would of been better off grabbing a ti4200 for a cheap solution (may be a little biased.) Would of paid about the same price for a better card.</font>
            There ya go. I highlighted the important parts. :)

Comment

What Beff is tryin' to tell ya is that a GF4 Ti4200 would cream what ya bought though it's still a DX8 card. If ya want a good card then an R9600XT or FX5700 Ultra is what ya need as a minimum (atm unless ya really need a DX9 card then I'd go the GF4 Ti4200, it rapes the FX5200).

Did ya really need to highlight that much Beff? :?:

Comment

Beefy. I am pretty sure that was the funniest quote of one of my posts I've seen in quite a while. Although a little extreme...

Comment

I guess nobody else noticed. In his specs, it shows he is runnin dx9a. What other old or screwed up drivers could be runnin? When was the last time you formatted? By the looks of the dx version, I would say too long ago. And to top it off, a mobo can't just be switched for another kind. What about the drivers?

One other thing. This 8x vs 4x thing is a load of crap. There is almost no difference at all between them. 1% at the very most. I have even tried 8x cards @ 2x and still almost no change at all.
                  Don't feel so bad, I know guys that rebought the same model of gfx and mobo, just the 8x versions of both. I warned them.
                  athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                  tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                  bfg 6800gt
                  seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                  samsung dvdrw
                  2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                  logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                  2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                  creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                  mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                  DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

Sorry, I think I overdid it with the size differences.. :) But seriously, if you want to play BF well, you want at least 512MB RAM. That video card will perform OK then, as long as you keep the quality settings down. But the card could also use an upgrade.

Comment

yea ill upgrade to 512 RAM :smokin: and also i went into task manager and i had so many dlls running.....so i stopped them and its alot better..

well what the guy told me.... it was an 8x card so i got an 8x mobo......

but thanks for your help...

Comment

Hmmmm.... Sounds like:

A) That guy was full of s*** and trying to sell you an extra mobo

B)You need a nother card, as 5200's just really suck (how long have you had it, can you return it?)

C) In the meantime try tweaking your system and BF1942. If you have XP, check out the Windows XP reformat to relax guide here . If you want more XP tweaks or if you have another Windows operating system, go to www.pureperformance.com as they have alot of good tweaks too (some are repeats from the guide tho). Tweaktown also has a BF1942 guide here .

I dunno, I've fully tweaked my system (which is over 2 years old now) and, granted I have 768MB of RAM, with my Ti4200 I can play BF1942 maxed out with everything on (as in 1600x1200 w/ 100% detail). My CPU is only 100mhz faster than yours anyways. The only time the game slows slightly is during a huge explosion because my CPU can't handle all the particle effects: no worries. If I were you, I would def look into more RAM at the moment, and see if you can exchange that 5200 for a Ti4200, if not a Radeon 9600Pro or 9600XT. Happy tweaking, : peace2: Mista K6

Comment

Working...
                        X