The risks of overclocking....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The risks of overclocking....

Okay, I overclocked my Radeon 9600 Pro from 400/600 to 490/700. 10-15 higher on either and I get visual artifacts or my game/benchmark freezes.

Now, I'm doing this on stock cooling. Some people tell me that if I get no artifacts, and if the games/benchmark still run perfectly, with no signs of instability, then I am perfectly safe, in terms of overheating, my card's life expectancy, and frying my video card altogether. However, decreasing stability for performance must have a tradeoff. Are the negative effects of overclocking THAT detrimental to your video card's health?? Should I be worried about it?? Or is it true that as long as my games/benchmarks don't show signs of stability that my video card is gonna be okay...

The way I used to see it though:
    All video cards come "underclocked", meaning it isn't near it's capacity. No two cards of the same model are identical in terms of quality, so the factory settings are set pretty low, in order to cover the "bad" cards. Overclocking is merely setting the card to its potential.

Now I'm a little skeptic.

The 9600 is a very cool-running card anyway because of the .13 process. You really don't have to worry about heat. Overclocking the card a bit (not even that much in your case) is perfectly safe. It only really becomes a factor when you have poor cooling (passive with little case ventilation) or vmod the card excessively, like I did with mine. In your case though, since you're not doing any physical mods to the card, and the 9600 has a half-decent active cooler, you dont have to worry about anything.

Comment

So if I keep these settings without upgrading my cooling, my card's lifespan won't go down?? Thank you very much sir. You've helped me big time. If anyone else would like to add anything, I would be very appreciative.

Comment

Thats a very nice overclock, I haven't seen those get that high on the memory before....

Comment

Some guy on another forum got 520 720 on stock cooling.

Comment

A lot of samsung 2.86ers will hit 360mhz. 400+ with a vmod.

Comment

That's not Samsung 2.86. Its also not a 9800.

Comment

Working...
              X