refresh rate..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• refresh rate..

ok this may be a dumb noob question but i just dont know the answer.. what does the refresh rate effect? you know the rating you sually set in the advanced monitor settings? i dont really notice too much of a difference. When i set it to 85 mhz instead of 60 it makes the screen smaller for some reason

using 1280X960 res, win 2k

^_^x KD

Did you try the +size- vertical/horizontal adjustments?
    Worked for me. Press Save if your monitor can do that.

Comment

lol, ya i know that, im wondering what changing the refresh rate actually does though. i dont notice any visual quality increase or anything

Comment

Refresh rate

The refresh rate is the amount of times a display's image is repainted or refreshed per second. The refresh rate is expressed in hertz so a refresh rate of 75 means the image is refreshed 75 times in a second. The refresh rate for each display depends on the video card used. You can change the refresh rate in the display properties. However, if you change the refresh rate to a setting that the display or video card cannot support, the display goes blank or the image becomes distorted. It is recommended to consult the display and video card manuals before changing the settings to determine the supported refresh rates.
        An older refresh rate standard, developed by the Video Electronics Standards Association (VESA Local Bus), was only 60 Hz. This refresh rate caused the display's image to flicker causing eye fatigue and headaches in users. A new standard set the refresh rate to 75 Hz. It is believed that 70 Hz or higher eliminates the flicker. When purchasing a monitor, look for a refresh rate of 75 to 85 Hz.

Dynamic random access memory (DRAM) memory modules also have a refresh rate. A DRAM module is made up of electrical cells. These cells must be recharged or refreshed thousands of times per second or they lose their data. The refresh cycles depend on the number of rows that must be refreshed. For example, a DRAM module that has 4 rows of cells has a refresh cycle of 4K. Some DRAM modules are able to refresh themselves independently of the processor or external refresh circuits. Since this reduces power consumption, this kind of DRAM is commonly used in notebook computers.

TechTarget

Comment

Originally posted by Kenshin-dono
          ok this may be a dumb noob question but i just dont know the answer.. what does the refresh rate effect? you know the rating you sually set in the advanced monitor settings? i dont really notice too much of a difference. When i set it to 85 mhz instead of 60 it makes the screen smaller for some reason

using 1280X960 res, win 2k

^_^x KD
          I've noticed that the refresh rates 85 mhz down to about 65 mhz for some ATI brand name cards don't seem to make a lot of difference on my monitors at higher resolutions until you get up to about 90 or 100 mhz. Try forcing 100 mhz once just to see how much that improves flickering. Keep in mind that you can damage your monitor if you use a refresh rate that your monitor is not capable of displaying.
          Check your manual to see what refresh rates your monitor supports or download drivers for your monitor instead of using the Windows defualt monitor driver, you might be surprised that your monitor can actually support higher refresh rates than what is currently listed (I was). It might just save you a bad case of red eye and a headache someday.

Comment

Working...
          X