5900 or 9600 XT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5900 or 9600 XT?

I know this is a strange question...but which would be better to get? A Geforce FX 5900 non-ultra or a ATI Radeon 9600 XT?? The XT is coming out at $199, and the 5900 is $237 at NewEgg. That's only a $38 difference, but I was concerned since Nvidia's graphic cards cannot handle DX9 games while ATI's can. So which is the best buy??

Originally posted by Mike2010
    I know this is a strange question...but which would be better to get? A Geforce FX 5900 non-ultra or a ATI Radeon 9600 XT?? The XT is coming out at 9, and the 5900 is 7 at NewEgg. That's only a difference, but I was concerned since Nvidia's graphic cards cannot handle DX9 games while ATI's can. So which is the best buy??
    I'd personally go with the GeForce FX 5900 but then again I didn't know the newest Nvidia cards couldn't handle DX9 games.:confused:

Comment

You are looking at the Value version of the card, the real 5900 is $330 at the cheapest.

Also you can't compare those two cards. The 5900 absolutely blows the 9600 away.

And about the comment on DX9, Nvidia is fixing their drivers (not cheating) and is catching back up. If you want proof look at my Aquamark 3 score.

If you want to get the 5900 I have one for sale for $295 with TV Tuning / ViVo capabilities that overclocks beyond Ultra specs. If you are interested PM me.

Comment

Soulburner
        You need to calm down alittle. If the pic is wrong then ***** at New Egg!! Not hear!!

Comment

Originally posted by rythug
          Soulburner
          You need to calm down alittle. If the pic is wrong then ***** at New Egg!! Not hear!!
          Huh? :confused:

Comment

Sapphire OEM Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb posting

Comment

Originally posted by rythug
              Sapphire OEM Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb posting
              What does that have to do with this thread?

Please, don't hijack threads.

Comment

what is a real 5900?

Comment

There are 3 versions, the Value, regular, and Ultra. They were introced at $299, $399, and $499. They are now at $230, $330, $430 (approx).

Comment

Ahh the value version..that makes since because I was wondering why it was so cheap..

Edit: Found a Gainward FX 5900 for $239, it's memory is 2.8ns, does that mean it can be overclocked to Ultra levels? Here is the link..

Comment

No mine and the Ultra have 2.2ns clocked at 850mhz, the Value version is 700mhz. I'm not sure how well that overclocks but mine does over 900mhz with crappy cooling.

Comment

Is the Gainward card still value? I thought value had bad memory like 3.3ns or somewhere around there.

Comment

No its 2.8 @ 700mhz.

Comment

for half life 2 in the xt's price tag of 150/200............and the recent review of the card against the nv36 seemed adequate.........i'm kinda wanting the next generation cores/ 2nd Q 04/ and this would be a stop gap until then

Comment

Working...
                            X