R9700 pro and 3dmark 2003

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R9700 pro and 3dmark 2003

I get about 3400 on 3d mark 2003 with a Radeon 9700 pro (Gigabyte version). Before I ran the test I turned off the FSAA and Antistropic filtering and set all the graphical options to either off or application preference.

Is this score average for my system? Or is it bad? I've seen others on this forum who get much better scores than I and have equal or worse systems (I've been here for a while but don't post very much).

I've optimized the software on the system to the point where Im not sure what else can be done, i've followed the tweaktown XP guides, turned off all the system resource draining XP features, I regularly clean out the registry, have the bare minimum of services running etc (Boots in about 15 seconds) updated all the hardware and XP when ever a new patch/driver appears and am generally quite carefull and caring about my system and its health.

System:
    P4 2.4 (400FSB)
    768Mb DDR 2700 (2 sticks of DDR3200 and 1 DDR2700)
    Asus P4S8X (Says 333 FSB on the tin but I've got it up to 400 without the DDR 2700 stick in it)
    Radeon 9700 Pro (Cat 3.7's)
    WD Caviar SE 80Gb HDD
    Phillips Edge Audio
    XP Pro

If anyone can tell me if this score is good or not (if its not tell me what im doing wrong) it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Score looks low, make sure AGP is enabled and running @ 8x, set AGP aperture in BIOS and try again, you should be able to do 4000 at least.

Also remember its all vid card so if it isn't overclocked it isn't scoring.

Comment

The AGP setting are all correct, running at 8X's AGP (the SIS AGP driver is the most stable version for the motherboard) and the aperture is set to 128MB.

BTW its not overclocked at all because I wanted to see the pre-overclocked results vs the post overclocked results;)

Comment

Are you sure its Pro? What are the clocks at?

Comment

Im certain its a pro, it identifies itself as one, it said it was one on the box and it clocks at 324/310

Comment

For 324/310 that score is still a wee bit low. Try overclocking it and see what you can get.

At 448/315, my 9700 scores 6k.

Comment

I've seen similar complaints about gigabyte ones (and powercolor ones). And some of them tried flashing it and got significant performance boost (but always remember to backup ur original BIOS file)

Try checking omegacorner.com

U should get high 4k-ish or 5k @ stock speed

But did u take out the 2700 mem? U should not use as it will hold u back. Or... u could try doing sandra mem bench before and after taking it out, just to see the difference.

One more: did u turn off the V-sync? Always OFF for benches and always ON for games :)

hope it helps :)

Comment

I didn't overclock it (after reading the potential issues witht the 3.8's I thought it wise), Installed the new Omega take on the 3.8 drivers and for some reason my score went to 4700.

I might remove the 2700 stick and see how it goes, I think BF1942 maps would load allot slower though. I'll see what happens when I remove it although Im not sure excatly if the benefit would be worth it:/

BTW the bios on the Gigabyte card I got is the latest version from ATi.

Comment

768Mb DDR 2700 (2 sticks of DDR3200 and 1 DDR2700)
                  Asus P4S8X (Says 333 FSB on the tin but I've got it up to 400 without the DDR 2700 stick in it)
                  Why are you running with both types of memory then?
                  I am not familiar with your chipset, but doesn't having 3 dimms kill your dual channel, the huge advantage of the P4?
                  768MB probably doesn't give as much advantage as the 400FSB 512MB.

However, I am sure you benchmarked both, and this thread is about your 3d probs...

Comment

Im running both types of memory cause It give me more memory;)

Means BF1942 maps load faster and most games run a bit smoother. The chipset isn't dual channel. I bought it just before Dual channel came about on the market.

I might benchmark with and without the 2700 stick to see if it all runs better but for BF1942 I doubt the speed advantage will be that great over memory amount.

Comment

That board only has one memory controller.

Comment

Working...
                      X