Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth buying Radeon 9800?

Hey,

I play alot of games like Battlefield 1942, America's army, enter the matrix and counter-strike. Right now i have a cheap video card, I think it is a ProSavage 8, and i hate it. In a game like bf1942 I tweaked the game and i put it on lowest setting and i still run at 4 to 15 fps and AAO i run at like 6 to 20 fps. So is the radeon 9800 worth buy for getting a better qulity in my game and way better fps.
    MOTHER BOARD : GIGABYTE K8N-SLI NForce 4
    PROCESSOR: AMD X2 3800+
    GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA 7800GT 256mb
    PSU: Enermax 535W
    MEMORY: Kingston 4x 512 pc3200 = 2GB
    Hard Drive: Seagate 300GB HDD 7,2000 RPM
    MONITOR: 19" Sony
    windows XP: home

Without a doubt. Just make sure you have all the requirements for it.

Comment

Originally posted by [MSB
      -TOM]
      Hey,

I play alot of games like Battlefield 1942, America's army, enter the matrix and counter-strike. Right now i have a cheap video card, I think it is a ProSavage 8, and i hate it. In a game like bf1942 I tweaked the game and i put it on lowest setting and i still run at 4 to 15 fps and AAO i run at like 6 to 20 fps. So is the radeon 9800 worth buy for getting a better qulity in my game and way better fps.

I found out personally that ATI packs some Pro cards in the non-pro Radeon 9800 box's, so you might get more for less, if your lucky.

I have Battlefield 1942 cranked up to its highest setting at 1024X768X32 with the ATI Radeon 9800 pro vid card running smooth as silk and I'm sure its capable of more, but those settings suite me fine.
      I'm surprised that Prosavage display even runs the game, it must get annoyingly laggy at times, you would even notice a big improvement using a bottom of the line Geforce 5 card, I know I did when I disabled my onboard Prosavage (64MB) video in my spare system and put in a GeforceFX 5200 video card, if I remember right the Prosavage card could only run the game in super slow motion at the defualt setting and turning everything down did'nt make things go much better on a 2.4 ghz Sony system, which I actually ended up scraping for spare parts a week after I bought it.

Comment

I don't know where you live but if you're in the US you can order a 9800pro from compusa for only $300...here

Mine is in the mail as we speak :cool:

But as Kauza said, its very important that your mobo can handle this card, otherwise you might be putting a viper V10 in your little gremlin.......wait a min...:idea:

Comment

A card of that caliber can do amazing things for your system.

For example mine runs UT2k3, which is a much more detailed and stressful game than BF1942, at 1600x1200, details maxed, at 60fps.

:shoot2:

But like was said, if the rest of your system isn't up to par you will be CPU/Platform bound.

Comment

Well i live in Alberta, Canada and i was reading about my sysyem (well my brothers he gave it to me its only like 6 months old) and it says it can handle the radeon 9600 pro but im not to sure about the 9800 pro, but im getting it from "Future Shop" so i can always return it for the 9600 pro.

Comment

Well i live in Alberta, Canada and i was reading about my sysyem (well my brothers he gave it to me its only like 6 months old) and it says it can handle the radeon 9600 pro but im not to sure about the 9800 pro, but im getting it from "Future Shop" so i can always return it for the 9600 pro.

Comment

What is your system...?

Comment

I dont no im not in to comp. that much but my brother has all the system info sum were i just cant find it.

I dont no if this is real but if so is there a program that tells wats in ur system. And can u give me a link?

Comment

CPU-Z for Windows® x86/x64 is a freeware that gathers information on some of the main devices of your system : Processor name and number, codename, process, package, cache levels. Mainboard and chipset. Memory type, size, timings, and module specifications (SPD). Real time measurement of each core's internal frequency, memory frequency. CPU-Z is fully supported on Windows® 11. The CPU-Z‘s detection engine is now available for customized use through the CPUID System Information Development Kit, a professional SDK built for the Microsoft Windows & Android.

Comment

for a web based test try pcpitstop.com
                      for a downloadable program try sisoftware sandra or sandra max bot available from here

Comment

that 9800pro from compusa is a good deal!!! even if its ONLY got 128ram...in january i paid 215$ for a ti4200 with only 64meg ram!!
                        and yes u will see very good performance even if ur system isnt 'top of the line', and hey if u get a new mobo/proc u can put that 9800pro in and get more performance out of it

Comment

Working...
                        X