NV35 refresh
    500MHz core, 1000MHz memory (effective)
    Nvidia's answer to ATI's R360
    Due for release around September/October

NV news

DigiTimes

Comment

By NVIDIA Itself

In the latest Detonator FX 45.33 drivers that address flickering issues of the GeForce FX 5900-series there are identification strings for NVIDIA soon-to-be-released code-named NV38 GPU. Apparently, the official brand name for the part will be the GeForce FX 5950 Ultra.

We told you earlier that the NV38 will be an improved version of the NV35 chip also known as the GeForce FX 5900-family. The GeForce FX 5950 Ultra will be considerably faster compared to the current GeForce FX 5900 Ultra. Performance improvement may be as high as about 25% in certain cases, according to preliminary estimates based on the historical data about performance gains in the sane families of graphics chips. The newcomer will be showcased during Computex Taipei 2003 later this month with actual availability in late October or early November depending on the region.

Xbit

Comment

Not to mention the image quality went to crap with 45.23s...

I am using 44.03s as they are the best thing yet for my card until something better arrives.

Comment

Soulburner: Have you tried the new Detonator 45.33 Windows XP Driver with Flicker Fix for GeForce FX 5900 cards?

Comment

No I haven't but I don't have that problem.

When I used the 45.23s all my games that I normally play at 1600x1200 were jaggy as hell (aliased), so I went back to 44.03 and its crystal clear again. I don't know what they did but it wasn't pretty.

Comment

Here's a photo of Nvidia's new NV38 GeForce FX 5950 graphics card.

Comment

argh no!!!

did someone say COOLFX2??

time 2 buy those earplugs

Comment

Originally posted by 9956
                  argh no!!!

did someone say COOLFX2??

time 2 buy those earplugs
                  It's called an OTES system dude, other card makers like Abit and others have been doing this for a while now.....its actually a quiet solution, not a loud one.

Comment

ah yes, silly me. i just read on the inq that it was gonna be quieter as well:o ah well

have you seen the 9800 MAXX from sapphire?? 2 cores, up 2 512mb ram, but never coming to retail :(. ah well, twas but a dream for me anyway

:cheers:
                    james

Comment

Yep just like the upcoming XGI card with dual GPUs and 512mb DDR2 (256 for each processor).

Comment

<center>NVIDIA News and Insights</center>

Many were expecting NVIDIA to take the wraps off of the NV36 and NV38 parts at Computex, but in fact not a whole lot was mentioned about them. There were samples being shown at Computex, but none of them were running, and none of them benchmarked. It now appears that the release will probably happen soon, but I can't say when exactly (within the next 2 months obviously). There are some things that we can probably gather about the design of these products, and a few that we can guess on. The most likely piece of technology at work here is that the NV38 and NV36 will most likely be the first products based on the IBM/LowK 130 nm process, and the first NVIDIA chips to come out of the East Fishkill Fab in New York. These should run faster than the TSMC fabricated parts, and probably produce significantly less heat per MHz. Of course, with the design of the new cooler on the NV38 samples shown, it will be running at a very high speed, and produce a goodly amount of heat. If I were a betting man, I would guess the clockspeed for both parts would be in the 550 MHz to 600 MHz range for the Ultra editions. Considering that the NV30 from TSMC ran at 500 MHz, this is not a wild guess.

There are also some indications that these parts could well be redesigned enough to partially make up the performance discrepancy between NVIDIA parts and ATI parts. The NV30 was well underway and nearly finalized when the DX9 standard was agreed upon. NVIDIA originally went at DX9 alone, and thought it may be able to force Microsoft to make its own design the basis for DX9. During the initial stages of DX9 development, NVIDIA removed itself from the group developing the technology standard. Only when DX9 was far into the development stages did NVIDIA rejoin the group. By then DX9 was nearly finalized, and ATI had a very good idea what it would be like (and had been working on the R300 core since the basic inception of DX9). NVIDIA was left with an underperforming part in floating point fragment programs, and they knew it. The NV35 development showed that NVIDIA did realize it made some significant mistakes with the NV30, and the NV35 was designed to work around those problems. NVIDIA is a smart company, and when the final specifications for DX9 were made official, NVIDIA knew they would run into problems in the future. This was over 1.5 years ago, and during that time design changes to the NV36 and NV38 could be implemented to help this situation. My belief (and it is only a belief) is that the NV36 and NV38 parts will be much better PS 2.0 performers than the NV30, NV31, NV34, and NV35 parts. I do not believe that NVIDIA had enough time to change around the entire design to be as fast as ATI's R3xx series in such situations, but I believe that the new parts will at least be a lot more competitive using standard ARB code paths for Pixel Shader 2.0 operations. This is only speculation, but some evidence pointing to this does appear to be out there. In the meantime NVIDIA is doing major damage control with their products and the apparent lack of performance in PS 2.0 operations. This damage control includes heavy driver and compiler level optimizations, working with developers to implement more NV3X friendly code, and keeping reviewers stocked with FX based cards to keep the good word out. I could be very wrong here and the NV36 and NV38 parts are merely speed upgrades, but NVIDIA is due for a major product design change this fall. It could be that the FX 5950 is merely named so as to confuse the competition, and in fact NVIDIA will release a major new part. I guess we shall see.

PenStar Sys

Comment

<center>NVIDIA ConferenceThe NVIDIA CEO Jen-Hsun made it quite clear that the graphics industry would no longer be the primary focus point of the company. They then continued to demonstrate a wide range of new multimedia products.

Part of an article by Legion Hardware

Comment

<center>NV38 to arrive end of October
                            But NVIDIA leaves it late to manufacture
                            </center>

We have been talking to graphics manufacturers in and around Computex this week, and all the information fed to us has been that Nvidia will announce its NV38 and 36 parts, the GeForce 5950 and 5700, at the end of October.
                            However, partners are not anticipating actually having any chips from the graphics giant until the middle of October - meaning that Nvidia is cutting it very, very fine if it actually wants products available in any serious quantity at launch.

We expect the parts to retail for roughly the same price as their predecessors - although there has been much speculation that Nvidia will lower its prices to compete better with ATI, which has consistently been priced significantly lower than its rivals in the UK, due to some allegedly dubious pricing decisions by one or two of the UKs online stores. This has been dismissed as unlikely.

This news comes as Nvidia CEO Jen Hsen Huang spoke at its press conference earlier this week of diversifying its business, stating that GPUs would no longer be the focus of its product line.

With motherboards and nubile, sorry, mobile products starting to take a bigger role in Nvidia's product plans, some have questioned Chipzilla's committment to the high-end sector that has put it in the position it is today.

The Inquirer

Comment

<center>NV38 seals Nvidia's coffin...</center>

Nvidia's NV38 (along with the rest of the FX series) has been dubbed as a substandard card by team dx. This means that DX will not include NV in its development range for directx10. Team DX made the decision "as a favor to the graphics industry". Team DX claims that NV violated their partnership agreement by changing the DX9 code with their latest set of drivers as caught by Xbit labs recently. This violates the licensing agreement and compromises DX's quality in order to make it seem as if ATi and NV cards alike display the same image quality (which would be really bad in this case). This can only be fixed by reinstalling dx9b. So by all means, Do Not Download Detonator 50 Drivers!!! Along with this, NV has been caught cheating on benchmarks as they usually do over at Anandtech . Notice that all of the realworld benchmarks perform better on ATi, yet all synthetic benchmarks perform better by a large margin on NV hardware. "These violations are inexcusable" said a DX employee, and I'd have to agree. So without the inside drive on DX10, NV will not be able to even optimize their cards as ATi can and will probably fall into bankruptcy just as 3dfx did before them...

Gearbox Forums

W2S

Comment

Working...
                              X