Radeon 9700 Pro vs 9800 Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon 9700 Pro vs 9800 Pro

I'm thinking about buying a Radeon 9800 Pro so I can move my 9700 pro to my Home Theater PC. Do you think an upgrade from the 9700 Pro to 9800 Pro is worth the money or should I hold out for the next ATI card? What is the next ATI card?

wow, I wish I had the money to get evey new card that comes out...

IMO, I think it would be a waste to move from the 9700 pro to the 9800 pro, might was well wait...there will probably be a new card with in a couple months that may be worth it

Comment

I moved from a 9700 Pro to a 9800 Pro. There is a performance difference of up to 15%, especially in high resolution with 4xAA, 4xAF and above. For me the main reason was the "quality". The 9700 Pro is prone to a lot more problems in the long run, and the physical quality of the card (depending on brand) can be quite low compared to the 9800 Pro. The 9800 Pro has a sturdier power connecter (proper 4-pin molex on the board), tweaked and optimized Antialiasing/Anisotropic, and better cap layout. Also on my P4G8X the 9700 Pro would sometimes lockup for no reason, while my 9800 Pro has been fault-free. The 9700 Pro has known compatibility issues with several Intel chipsets.

If you can though, I'd advise that you hold onto your 9700 Pro and wait for the 9900 Pro (due July/August - but I'd say late August personally). If things are going OK no need to upgrade just yet.
      My Machine

Comment

Yea, everything is okay with this card for me. I have the ATI made card, btw. I'm wanting to move the 9700 Pro to my home theater computer because I can use the ATI dongle to hook it into my HDTV, which supports a higher res than the adapter I'm using now. So, I figured I'd rather upgrade and move over my 9700 than just buy like an older 9500 for my other computer. I'll just wait for the 9900 and maybe around that time Half Life 2 will have a demo out so I can see the difference. :D

Originally posted by PersianImmortal
        I moved from a 9700 Pro to a 9800 Pro. There is a performance difference of up to 15%, especially in high resolution with 4xAA, 4xAF and above. For me the main reason was the "quality". The 9700 Pro is prone to a lot more problems in the long run, and the physical quality of the card (depending on brand) can be quite low compared to the 9800 Pro. The 9800 Pro has a sturdier power connecter (proper 4-pin molex on the board), tweaked and optimized Antialiasing/Anisotropic, and better cap layout. Also on my P4G8X the 9700 Pro would sometimes lockup for no reason, while my 9800 Pro has been fault-free. The 9700 Pro has known compatibility issues with several Intel chipsets.

If you can though, I'd advise that you hold onto your 9700 Pro and wait for the 9900 Pro (due July/August - but I'd say late August personally). If things are going OK no need to upgrade just yet.

Comment

That sounds like the way to go. BTW I like both your setups. They both look good and obviously work well :thumb:
          My Machine

Comment

Working...
          X