screen adjustment keeps moving left or right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• screen adjustment keeps moving left or right

Hi i am having trouble with Xp every time i boot the screen has moved 1 inch to the left , then i go in display properties advanced setings and adjust the screen to default , that corect's it .But then if the screen saver kicks in or i play a game the screen moves to the right , then i have to adjust the screen but this time it won't default back to the center i have to use the arrows to adjust it back to the center .I have a gforce4 ti 4600 all the latest drivers and service packs , is ther any sort of fix for this or reg hack ...
    Any help would be great as it is driving me nuts...
    Itchy

What happens if you change the settings on the screen itself, not via Windows?

Comment

Beefy i have a duel boot , so if i change the screen setings via the monitor it throws out my other os (linux) i didnt need to adjust the monitor for that install ..But if i change the setings via the monitor for XP i still have to adjust the screen via display properties , Things were ok untill i installed a Matrix screensaver , i have since deleted it and removed any trace of that prog from the reg istry best to my knowlige but the screen still moves .When i boot up the screen moves 1 inch to the left , i adjust via display properties hit default then it center's , then if i play a game or the default windows screensaver kiks in the screen moves 1 inch to the right , so back into the display properties , this time default view dose nothing i have to use the directional arrows to move the screen back ,Then again if the screensaver or game , it moves to the left ...and it keeps going..I am wondering if there is a reg hack to make the view stay centered...Thanks for any help...
      Itchy

Comment

Hmmm, interesting problem.

There's a couple things I can think of, but they aer more temporary fixes rather than permanent solutions. One thing you could try would be to remove your video card and monitor from the Device Manager, then restart and allow it to reset all of your display properties, as it's sounding to me like it's screwing things up when you change between resolutions.

Just one question: When you boot up, does the startup screen (before you pick your OS) look normal, or is that offset as well?

Comment

OK Beefy thanks for the sugestion i haven't thought of that i will do that now and post a reply if it worked.. :)
          And yes I use System Comander as a boot manager and that screen is ok it is centered also the XP splash screen is ok and centered to just when it goes from the welcome splash screen to the desktop then it screws up ...
          I will remove the devices now and return with the outcome ...Thankx M8
          Itchy

Comment

Another thought is to change your Windows desktop resolution or refresh rate and see if it still does the same thing when you restart after that. Could be a problem with a certain combination due to the screensaver.

Comment

I had the same idea as Beefy, to remove the drivers and reinstall.

Just out of curiosity, do you have an Anti-virus program?
              What about a firewall?

Just thinking this may have started with a little extra programming in the screensaver software. I found a trojan when I downloaded the same and some logons/splash screens.

I have both, and somehow it got through! :shoot3:

Chez

Comment

I have this really old ultra high end Daewoo monitor (1993). It's not pnp so everything I run has to be the same res as the desktop. Or a similar thing happens. Try going into the advanced display properties and moving it that way, then it will stay. Works for me on both ati and nvidia(ati has more adjustments than nvidia).
                athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                asus a7n8xe-dlx
                thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                bfg 6800gt
                seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                samsung dvdrw
                2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                seagate sataII 500gb
                evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                samsung sata dvd-rw
                2x1024 ocz black
                logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

maximus i tried the advanced properties as my earlier post states it didnt stay that way , my monitor is pnp.
                  I have Zonealarm running it found no extra app's running and vet found no virus also antitrojan found nothing.
                  All i did was set the display to 800 by 600 then back to 1024 by 768, thanks for the effort i wouldn't have tried that without your help ..
                  job well done , 1 happy customer..Keep up the good work .
                  :-)
                  Itchy

Comment

Working...
                  X