Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There must be something I can do...

Hi everyone:)

I have a question regarding AGP setup and memory frequency...

My problem is I am getting some PATHETIC framerates and afer following about 500 'How to tweak your system' tutorials, I have had NO success - so now I have to ask questions...

I'm posting some of my system specs to look at, but here's my problem

I have:
    nVidia Geforce4ti 4600
    ASUS A7A133 Mobo
    Win2k pro
    512 sdram
    AMD AthalonXP1700 ~1.63GigHz

The details are attached below.

I really can't believe that I'm only able to score ****1447**** on the 3dmark03 benchmark and my average FPS for UT2k3 benchmark is 39.

I have tried every tweak and overclock I have been able to find on the net, to no avail.

The reason i think there is something else wrong is that my FPS doesn't change whether I run UT2k3 with the highest details or no details at all - always the same.

As you can see below, AGP fastwrites is supported, but disabled - yet in the BIOS, it's enabled. I can't figure that out...

Also, NVMax doesn't work with the latest Nvidia Drivers, and I can't seem to find a utility to select Fastwrited from within windows.

What am I doing wrong?!? Could someone take a look at the screenshots I post below and perhaps offer a suggestion to get this corrected? I mean, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to score at least 4000-5000 on the benchmark at all...

Here's the shots and thanks for any help!!

First screen - RAM specs...shouldnt' the frequency be 133Mhz? Am I wrong? Why is it 0?

Comment

Here's my vid card specs - I'm blaming this last, I think the problem lies elsewhere...

Comment

Here's th AGP specs - as you can see, fastwrites disabled but supported - in the BIOS they are enabled...

Also, My available rate is 0x00000007, but in actuallity set at0x00000000. Any ideas?

Comment

I really want to say thanks for any help I can get, I know it is time consuming to try to figure this out!!:)

Comment

1447 with that benchmark and that hardware is not that bad. I get a similar score with my setup (link in my sig)...and my Ti4200 is OC to about the same as a 4600

it's not 3dmark01, it's a complete new benchmark...you shouldn't expect to get a score like you did then

if you want to really boost your score then you are going to have to buy a new video card... such as ATI's 9700pro (or above ) or nVidia's 5900

Comment

Yes it's not a bad score but ya mobo and memory are bottlenecks which is holding the rest of ya system back.

Comment

Thanks for takin a look - I hadn't thought that my score would be about average for my gear, but I kinda had the idea that the Mobo was bottlenecking - I had a limitedbudget and went with the nice graphics card - as opposed to motherboard -

Guess I'll have to save my nickels and dimes and upgrade the board...

Thats' life -

Thanks for your help:)

Comment

I noticed your agp aperature size, looks like it's set at 32mb. If I set mine that low, performance will drop drasticly. I keep it at 128mb. I am saying this due to the specs saying 128mem and 159texture. Sometimes it's off by a meg or two. 160total-128base=32 left, thats the agp aperature size.

edit/:((foot in mouth) something is odd, I noticed it also said the aparature size is 128 in the motherboard info. But according to the desplay device1/1, only 32 is in the equasion ?????
                  Also the driver doesnt look whql, maybe it's messin with something. Maybe a different driver would change it.
                  athlon xp-m@2456mhz(12x204)
                  tt aquariusII liquid cooled/ arctic silver ceramique
                  asus a7n8xe-dlx
                  thermaltake xaserIII lanfire
                  bfg 6800gt
                  seagate sataII 250gb/seagate 7200rpm 160gb ide
                  samsung dvdrw
                  2x1024 kingston hyper-x pc3200/ windows xp pro sp3
                  logitech mx518/ logitech wingman rumble
                  2x samsung 955df 19"/ canon i960
                  creative x-fi fatal1ty 64mb/ altec lansing 251-5.1
                  mushkin 550w

opteron 146 @ 2850 (10x285)
                  DFI infinity nf4 ultra
                  thermaltake tsunami dream -black
                  seagate sataII 500gb
                  evga 8600gt oc ssc edition
                  samsung sata dvd-rw
                  2x1024 ocz black
                  logitech ifeel/ nec accusync 75f
                  ocz fatal1ty 550w

Comment

yeah the ram is the bottleneck in your system (thanks wiggo for telling me the same thing :thumb: )

i have a 64mb radeon 9000, a mate of mine has the exact same card with 256mb corsair 3200 and a XP 2100+...he can run battlefield 1942 with full textures, effects, 1024x786 @ 32bit.

where as i cant run it at all...:(

Comment

So - then if the RAM is the bottleneck, I would still need to get a motherboard that supports
                      DDRAM, correct? My current doesn't support it. My brother has a Motherboard that supports DDRAM,
                      and has only 256 MB and GeForceTi 3/64 MB and pulls almost the same performance as my rig.

When I ran 3dmark01, the score was 7101 at 1024x768 @32 which I guess isn't so bad, but I just
                      thought it should be a little better than that. Bottlenecks suck though...

When you mention the AGP arpeture size at 32MB, how can I change that? The driver is the latest from nVidia
                      44.03, which gives programs like NVMax problems. My other question is why is Fastwrite and
                      sideband addressing supported, but disabled? In the BIOS, they're both enabled. Wierd. The
                      other part to that is when I enabled coolbits, I could not overclock anything at all even in the
                      slightest - artifacts and hangups were the order of the day there...

I'm not surprised the RAM is the bottleneck - but that brings me to the same question: shouldn't the
                      frequencey be 133Mhz? I have SPD enabled and it sets all that stuff to the highest the BIOS has to
                      offer; 3T,3T,3T and 7T - so there seems little point in manually setting that.

Or could I stand to use a different BIOS altogether?

Thank for all your input:)

Comment

I have a system similar to your but usin' a KT333 mobo, PC2700 and GF4 Ti4200 which pulls almost 10K in 3DMark '01. Ya CPU has a native bandwidth of 2.1GB (non o/c'd) but ya mobo/mem combo is only designed to handle just over 1GB (non o/c'd) and ya video card has to battle the CPU for use of this bandwidth (not to mention other competing hardware) so I'm sure that ya can see the prob ya face. ATM an nForce2 mobo and 2 sticks of PC2700 will blow ya current setup into the weeds.

Comment

Wiggo - thanks!

I'm saving up starting now - I have only one obstacle:
                          Yesterday when i visited my brother, I nailed a curb pulling into a parking lot to play some pool - blew the tire and busted the rim!!!

181 USD for the rim
                          around 120 USD for the tire

Dam - what a setback!!

When that's replaced, I'm working OT to upgrade the ol' PC

Thanks for all your input!

Comment

Damn that does suck. Hope ur alright :) . Also, you can a pick up a nice nForce 2 mobo like the 8RDA+ for just 85 dollars, and then you can probably find some alright quality PC2700 RAM on eBay (for DC mode) for about another 85 bucks.
                            <font color=orange>AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton (166*11=1883MHz) -|- Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0 -|- Corsair XMS PC3200 512 MB RAM 2T-3-3-6 @DDR333 -|- Leadtek A250 TD GF4 TI 4400 300/630 -|- 40 Gig Quntaum Fireball AP+ -|- 52x Samsung CD-ROM Drive -|- SB Live Digital 5.1 -|- Antec SG case w/350 Watt Power-Up PSU</font>

Comment

Yeah, I'm fine, but it was rough on the car - i was prolly goin a little too fast:rolleyes:

Yeah, I think I saw that at some one of the online stores at Yahoo shopping - I have another question

When i built this machine, I installed the processor, of course, there is a lever that you push down to lock it in place, you already know that. my question is is that the mounting plate slides over to lock; does this ruin the processor pins making it a one-time installation? Can I remove my CPU from this motherboard and put it in my new one, ar do I need another CPU as well?

I've built several PC's but have never actually had to re-use a CPU.

Sorry for the dumb-n00b question here!!

Comment

Working...
                              X