Gforce FX 5600 (256 mb)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gforce FX 5600 (256 mb)

I'm thinking about getting this card (Gforce FX 5600 (256 mb) )but have heard some bad things about noisy fans and screensaver problems with to it.
    Do all brands of this card have the same noisy fan?
    I have always had a display problem\incompatability of some sort with all the ATI brand video cards I've ever owned (7 in all) but in most cases it was always something I could work out or around. On the other hand I have never had a single problem or hassle of any kind with any Nvidia based card I have owned (3 in all). I'm just curious what exactly is happening with those that are having problems with the same card I'm planning on buying and if you were able to get it to work right.

One more question for those that keep up on video card specs. What ATI card would be comparable to the Gforce FX 5600 (256 mb) in graphics speed? I'm guessing a 9500 or 9700 PRO maybe.

Noisy is fan is on the 5800 Ultra, the 5600 is slower than 9500 Pro or 9600 Pro, quite a bit slower than it actually and it is way slower than the 9700 Pro. Dunt get the 256 Mb its useless the card does not have the power to utilise the memory, just a marketing gimic.:shoot3:

Comment

the 5200-5800 cards were junk...a bad show from nVidia, however the 5900 has turned that around

you'll be much more satisfied if you get an ATI card, or save your $$ and wait till the 5900 comes down in price

Comment

segageo64: If you really want a GeForce FX 5600 card, buy the second generation 400/400MHz core/memory Ultra version.
        (Don't waste your money on the 256mb card)

Comment

you could get a gf4 ti 4600-4800 and it could kick the ass of the gfx 5600, but the 5600 comes with dx 9 support + 256mbs. i still rather wait for the gfx 5900 being fully tested with drivers and all of that(retail) or get me a 9700 pro( or the 9800 pro). i got a radeon 9500 pro and am statisfield with it, it works perfect, games over the 100 fps at 1024*768(i don't have higher res cause my monitor doesn't support more + i can't really see something in fps games(the crossair is 1) at higher res).

Comment

you could get a gf4 ti 4600-4800 and it could kick the ass of the gfx 5600, but the 5600 comes with dx 9 support + 256mbs. i still rather wait for the gfx 5900 being fully tested with drivers and all of that(retail) or get me a 9700 pro( or the 9800 pro). i got a radeon 9500 pro and am statisfield with it, it works perfect, games over the 100 fps at 1024*768(i don't have higher res cause my monitor doesn't support more + i can't really see something in fps games(the crossair is 1) at higher res).
            I have a Radeon 9500 pro also, it's fast but not problem free for me, I haven't tested it with some of my software that other ATI cards I've had in the past can't run but as far as the newer games and programs are concerned the card does run good. I run GTA Vice city at the same frame rate you're talking about and it will run perfectly smooth at the highest detail you can set the game at (I'm very pleased with it becuase of that).
            I have noticed some slight scattered flickering against white backgrouds (ex. Internet explorer) even with the refresh rate set at my highest possible motitor setting (80mhz) which never happens with a Nivida based card in this machine using this monitor. Another annoying thing is when I run my favorite screensaver (3D Aquarium) the card chokes (Jerky fish) if I don't clean up my Windows Prefetch folder, defrag every 2 weeks, and run both Spybot and Adware to clean up the registery every once in awhile, well actually it might only be one of those things that solves the problem but I do them all at once to rid the problem. GTA Vice city will slightly hiccup also if these things are not done often. This never happens with the Nvidia chip based cards that I've tried in this system.
            I'm actually thinking about an ATI Radeon 9800 pro or a top of the line Gforce card but just reading the side of the box on the Asylum GeForce FX 5600 card it sounds like it has the power to do every thing I need a video card to do providing its as reliable as past GeForce cards have been for me, but after reading these replies so far I think I'll hold off for now until I hear better news. I definity want AGP 8x capability in a video card when I do decide buy, and I'm thinking the direct X 9 support will be good to have in the future.

Comment

heh, i play vice city and it works perfect, i don't see any flaws or bad images nor it crashes or anything like that:). i don't run any screensavers, my refresh rate is at 60mhz and i don't see anyfin wrong on it. but everyone has its problems(having a problem with a cd-rw right now.) i also play gta 3 and it has a small problem with the fog which i forgot to fix, i also play games like R6 ravenshield and soldier of fortune 2, ect, and they all run good over the 90+ fps.

Comment

I also have a 9500 Pro but OC to a 9700, games run with out flaws in High res. As everyone has mentioned Vice City I will to, Vice Ctiy runs Full everything in 1024*768 well over 100fps I think last time I checked it was about 135fps.

Oh yeah Theone you ought to change that 60Mhz to 75Mhz other wise your gonna have some headaches, High FPS and low Mhz = Flicker which you cant see and causes eyestrain and headaches.
                Bad if your playing for a long time, check make sure your monitor can go higher and set it about 75Mhz.

Comment

:2cents:
                  I just bought an AIW 9700 Pro ! It's awesome. Now I know what a powerful video card is...I thought about the 9800 Pro & FX 5900 Ultra, but I realized that I could get the AIW 9700 Pro for less than either of those cards, or just a 9700 Pro for even less money !!! I'm very happy with my decision as I can play all the latest games with the res. turned up and all the details at max !

Why would I pay more $$$ for only 5-10 fps more ?
                  SPAM Special Ops

Comment

heh, the sucky thing is that my monitor doesn't support more than 60mhz, i also ain't got $$$ to get me a better monitor but i'll try........MAUSER, what did you use to get the 9500 pro to 9700? and do you need better than stock cooling for the vid card?.

Comment

I had to FLASH my BIOS, and also add heatsinks to the memory modules on the card, Im lucky that my 9500 pro has a 9700 memory layout on it in the L shape instead of the straight line.
                      Once I had FLASHED my BIOS I could you Powerstrip to OC the card.

I also have a Air con system on my PC for that extra bit of cooling, I had to replace my power supply as it was only a 350watt and got real hot and put my system temp in the 50's but now its back down to about 25-35c so its all good.

Comment

Working...
                      X